Thread: How my 2016 Mazda Miata MX-5 has ruined cars for me (Read last paragraph first long).

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    2016 White
    Thanks Given
    To smyb1953. I noticed top wear on my ND after about 8 months but only 5,000 miles. It occurs in two spots, one on either side, where the top rubs on the seam that runs alone each side of the top. When folded these two spots occupy the same space and rub. I suspect it is vibration (as well as the obvious contact) as the cause. At first glance it appears the top might have been just barely cut by a sharp implement. However, the other side is identical. Examination near the base (back) of the top shows an identical wear mark (or witness mark, if you prefer) to that mark on the same side roughly above the seats.

My dealer in the DFW Tx area didn't balk a bit, and for that I am happy. They immediately ordered a new top, for which I am waiting. They indicated wait time was about 1 month but noted they weren't exactly sure.

For what it is worth, this is a first year model and one should expect design problems on any first year or first run of virtually anything. I work in the aircraft industry and there has never been a flawless entry to service of any aircraft I know.

Keep working on them at the dealer you deal with. Keep working with Mazda. Above all, keep working with any and all Miata enthusiast groups you can as there is where the real knowledge lies. Most things will get sorted out in time and with more effort than you probably want to put into it, but then that is the way love works -- and a bunch of folks have a real love affair with their little Miata (including me.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyjack51 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-03-2016),NCGreasemonkey (07-04-2016)