Thread: Tyre suggestions for 14"s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGNA8 View Post
    The Direzza Star Specs almost look like a semi slick to me. How do they perform in the wet? And are they a semi or just a high performance tyre?
    I ran them on my e30 BMW. I thought they were terrific in the rain, even when worn. The day I drove it home, I drove 5 hours through medium to heavy rain (typical for the southeastern US) on the freeway, I only experienced hydroplaning when I was above 70mph in the heavy stuff, and I think that was fair because it was too fast for the conditions to the point when I also realized I was out driving the windshield wipers' ability to clear the water off on the highest setting. I consider those a high-performance summer tire. I tracked that car on those a few times, pushing them hard.

I ran Falken 615k in 195/60-14 on my 14x6.5 wheels a few times, those are more semi-slicks as you describe. Not great in the rain.

Decent testing results on the Direzza:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....a&autoModClar=

I don't know if BF Goodrich is available in Australia, but they are a subsidiary of Michelin. Good tires, long lasting, usually very good in the rain. I see a number of Kumho tires in that size, but nothing I consider a performance tire.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-22-2016),HarryB (04-22-2016)