Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miata achievement unlocked

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    Before owning a Miata, I'd never even changed my own oil. The Miata community was a big part of why I started trying to do work on a car. The NC saw fluid changes, short shifter install, some lighting, and a radio install. The biggest things for that Miata, were a T-stat change(much harder than an NA, requires removal of intake box and other parts) and a suspension swap. The NA has a bit more work under the hood that i've done, and looking forward to the suspension swap, and FM Frame rail install, if I can only find the time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-24-2016),tsingson (05-25-2016)

Idling - Listen to it purr... MemphisMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red/White/Blue 1990 NA
    Thanks Given
    I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal to change out the soft top on my 1990 NA,but after I did it & was talking to my buddy Glen & heard HIM say "dude - I didn't even do THAT myself!" I was pretty proud...especially since he owns Clearwater!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MemphisMiata For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-25-2016),kung fu jesus (05-24-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-25-2016),tsingson (05-25-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Fishbulb's Avatar
    Drives
    Early Red 90
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbrush1 View Post
    I'd have to say doing my first rollbar install, and a successful diy turbo setup on my first miata
    Same, DIY Turbo on my old '95. Shit, I *STILL* talk about it to anyone who will listen...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishbulb For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-25-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-25-2016),tsingson (05-25-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Mine wasn't necessarily one single job or mod or anything. My Miata was my first car and I knew nothing about cars at the time. I have always been a huge car guy, but didn't know how they worked, what parts were what, etc. A month after I bought the Miata it blew up on me! Oil leaked onto a coolant hose and the car overheated! I spent the next month or so watching my sisters boyfriend ( now my brother-in-law) rebuild my motor. I learned a lot from that and know a lot more about Miata's now.

My car has broken down so many times that I have learned a ton (lots of credit has to be given to Eric, RotorNutFD3S) from it breaking and needing to fix it all up again! I still somehow consider my car reliable, but I think it spends more time on jack stands than it does on the road....

Also, every time I do a track day I am reminded how amazing these cars are! So much fun to drive even though they have such little amounts of horsepower!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-25-2016),JamieH (05-25-2016),tsingson (05-25-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Tony has it spot on.

There have been many repairs and experiences that have made me feel that way, some even when someone else pointed them out to me.

I already knew a decent amount about cars, it was in my environment as I grew up.

There isn't any one repair or mod, because it has been an incremental learning experience, most I enjoyed, some not so much. The same can be said for the memories and experiences the car gave me over the years.

I think the one I always remember is the M@LSR in 2010. Only the second year of the event and it was already a big deal to the local community. The trip up the PCH, the caravan was winding its way north. I somehow wound up leading the group at one point, but we were hitting slow cars along the way. After following one such car, I got around it at one of the few passing zones in a particular curvy section and took off. There it was, a beautiful sunny day, driving the curves of the PCH hard, ocean on my left, mountains on the right, no cars in front of or behind me. 20 minutes of bliss with no interruptions. The smells of the sea, the sounds of the surf barely heard over the straining engine happily taking what my right foot gave it, just amazing. I slowed down eventually to let the caravan catch up and I thoroughly enjoyed what was probably the best Miata-related weekend I have ever experienced.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-26-2016),HarryB (05-26-2016),JamieH (05-25-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-25-2016),RustRat (05-26-2016),tsingson (05-25-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I called out an intellectual property thief that was knocking off a really useful JDM product that was available in North America, unlike many JDM products. And what was worse, he was spreading the lie that he developed it. I couldn't do much to stop him from offering his parts, so instead I showed the community how do DIY for just pennies.

The "modernbeat" shock top method.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/234349...da-miata-mx-5/

Jason McDaniel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123