Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts

Nexus 7 install

So, I decided to document my NB2 Nexus 7 install. Found somehow that the 2012 Nexus 7" is almost identical in dimensions with a 2DIN faceplate, so it makes the perfect candidate for an in-car installation. I plan on having all my music in there, as well as GPS and an OBDII reader paired with bluetooth to the tablet for monitoring/logging ECU data.

Hardware required for the installation:

Essentials:
    - Nexus 7 (of course). I use the 2012 version, but the 2013 can be used as well.
    - USB OTG Y cable. This is used to simultaneously charge the tablet while allowing USB devices (such as USB sticks) to be used.
    - DC/DC converter (12V to 5V), with an USB output. This is to charge the tablet. Find a decent quality one that provides at least 2A of output current; less is not enough to keep the tablet charged at all times.
    - 3.5 jack to send the sound from the tablet to your amp (will get there in a moment)
    - Ground loop isolator to avoid parasitic noise in your sound signal
    - Some sort of amplifier to drive the speakers. An short-chassis (mechless) aftermarket head unit can be used if pushed behind the tablet. Alternatively, a "barebones" amp can be bought off eBay/Amazon for cheap. Keep in mind that these usually require some form of cooling.
    - ISO harness adaptor

Nice to have:
    - External USB sound card. The integrated Nexus sound card is not bad, but not great either. For higher quality sound output, an external sound card is recommended
    - USB DVB-T antenna. The Nexus hasn't got an on-board FM receiver, so if you want radio, this is a must
    - External GPS antenna. Some people have found the internal GPS antenna to be weak.
    - OBDII bluetooth reader. This is pretty much self-explainable
    - Matte anti-glare screen protectors. Sun can be too annoying at times.

Software:
    - Timurs' USB ROM. This is a CyanogenMod based ROM, specifically developed for use in cars. It adds a bunch of great features such as deep sleep on power loss and wake up on power. 2012 version can be downloaded HERE
    - GApps. Timurs' ROM does not come with Google apps pre-installed and for a good reason. I have these disabled most of the time, as they drain the battery rather quickly. However, the app store is nice when setting up your apps. Can be downloaded from HERE
    - Stickmount. A great app to recognize and auto scan all USB drive media once you mount it on the tablet
    - PowerAmp. A really good media player, albeit there are other alternatives out there
    - HERE Maps, my GPS navigation app of choice
    - UCCW app; it allows you to build clickable widgets/hotspots so you can control your tablet from the home screen.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-23-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-23-2016),RustRat (05-23-2016),tsingson (05-23-2016)