Thread: 2001 BRG Stereo Bosectomy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Idling - Listen to it purr... MotoCARR's Avatar
    Drives
    2000 Carbon Red Plasti Dip
    Thanks Given

2001 BRG Stereo Bosectomy

Quick overview of how I Bosectomy-ed my dad's 2001 BRG. In short, the radio is being replaced with a Pioneer DEH-X4800BT and new speaker wire run to a pair of Lanzar VX830 8" 3-way coax speakers. I won't cover every step of the way like removing the door/interior panels, there are plenty of write-ups floating around and it's super easy to do!

For this install the only "specialty" tool you will need are Ford radio removal keys. Cheap everywhere, I think I have even seen them at Walmart. If you're in the Chicagoland area, you're welcome to use mine :-).

Remove these plastic covers

Insert the radio keys

This is what the side of the radio looks like. When you insert the keys, don't just jam them in there. When you put the key in, you will feel some resistance and then you will feel it "slide" into place. If you don't, pull the key back a little and then move it forward again at a different angle. Usually they slide right in but some times it takes some fiddling. If you jam the metal tangs outwards too far, you're going to have a REAL hard time getting them back in place to get the radio out. Use patience here.

This is what you will be left with.

The wire harness that you will need is Metra 70-7901. Other manufactures make this harness as well like Scosche, American International, etc. Only the harness on the right will be used because the only connections that need to be made between it and your stereo harness are:
    Yellow: Constant 12v
    Red: Switched/ignition 12v
    Blue: Power antenna
    Reason being is the new speaker wire that will be run gets connected directly to the speaker leads coming off the radio.

Now, remove the door panels and take the speaker out.

Now comes the scary part for some..........remove the door! It's really not that bad, but you will need an extra set of hands. Loosen the door plug, remove the door stop pin, and the 4 bolts holding the door on.(Take out the top bolt last) In all reality, you can have the door off in 5-10min.(Don't be scared!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MotoCARR For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-27-2016)