Thread: FWD, 1680 lbs, 75 HP, 1.3L Mazda Engine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

FWD, 1680 lbs, 75 HP, 1.3L Mazda Engine

That's right, I am talking about a Ford Festiva. This is no ordinary version of the car's dinky stock form. This is a full blown track car minus a few things that I'll be installing later, cage, MS, etc.

Recently purchased for $650, clean title, PO owned for 13 years during which he heavily modified the car. The car ain't pretty, nor is it fast, but my god.. never have I experienced a FWD car that could handle so amazingly. I almost want to say that the suspension on this is more dialed than my own street/track NA! At Driveway Austin, where the PO nearly became an instructor, the car holds times just 1-2 sec slower than the fastest Spec Miata times. Impressive! Can't wait to get it out on an autox course!

The car also holds some history, it was selected as the Hot Hatch of the month in Street Tuner magazine at one point. I hope to restore its legacy, and bring it into a new limelight. My ultimate goal is to swap in a 1.8 BP and run a DIY megasquirt module. If I can get to 140HP, I will be a very happy man.

One thing that is neat is that the Festiva community shares some of the same quirkiness found in the Miata community, also mixed in with the same aptitude for troubleshooting. A very helpful community, they are much more familiar with engine swaps than us miata folk. Because face it, swapping ANYTHING in is going to be better than the 63 HP stock engine.

Okay, time for the goodies, the current mod list:
    1. Lightening - the car has been fully stripped down. No carpet. No plastic trim pieces, only the upper portion of dash remains, hood had support beams removed, there is a set of stripped doors, car has lexan windows all around.
    2. 13x6 Aero Wheels - wrapped in sumitomo 215/50/R13 with Some life left
    3. Completely custom suspension, machined top hats for camber adjustment in front, solid pillowball mount in rear, aftermarket dampers for a mitsu lancer, sleeves and springs from a miata, and more that I am not yet aware of. It handles!
    4. Intake/exhaust work, oil catch can, entire rerouting of wiring harness and removal of unused wires. Not tucked. Complete gauge and switch set up. Stickers everywhere! :~P
    5. Bucket seat and harness for driver, NA seat for passenger
    6. Fender flares from NA
    7. Strut tower braces front and rear.
    8. Side skirts and front bumper from ford focus/fiesta with brake coolers routed

Will be updating with progress and pics. So far I have replaced the battery and starter. Inspection and registration to follow. Should be street legal soon.

AFM looks awfully familiar!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atx For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-29-2016),Demon I Am (10-28-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (10-28-2016),NCGreasemonkey (10-28-2016)