Thread: Sound deadening

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I wasn't sure whether to reply or wait for a series. I've done the sound deadening process on a few Miatas including my own and I can say that covering every square inch of surface by mass loading is a waste of time, money and lightness. Noise, heat and vibration are all just various forms of energy but each should be addressed appropriately.

Instead of covering every inch of the interior with Dynamat like on the TV shows, I would mass load broad panels such as the doors and parcel shelf to prevent noise. Then I'd do a layer on the tranny tunnel followed by some Reflectix (feather weight) to block heat.

In the rear, I'd mass load the rear wheel wells a little and then cover with close cell foam pad. Then I'd fill the entire cavity (both sides) with pillow stuffing like a subwoofer enclosure. Yeah, it's not ideal but it weighs next to nothing and sound cannot resonate around that sound chamber.

Finally, blocking the tunnels with foam mat cuts out even more but weighs next to nothing. I know there's a lot of sophisticated and costly stuff on the market but they way I would do it now would prioritize weight savings and targeting correct materials for the job.

No todo que es oro brilla.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-19-2016),tsingson (12-19-2016)