Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '96 "R2 Limited" build.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! R2Limited's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by sss1987 View Post
    Seriously...Wow. /\/\/\ awesome picture. Your previous pics of the car that ive seen, didnt really do it justice..the recent ones youve taken..did make me go woah..

On another note.. are you able to do wheel centres in rota centre cap sizes bud? Could you possibly pm me a shipping price to the UK.
    Ps im also eagerly awaiting your eunos badge keyring to come out for the Keys to my Eunos S Spec!
    Thanks for the props on that photo. Obviously it came from the same series as all of the other "recent" photos - which really aren't recent at all. I don't think I ever posted that one before, though. It's a bit "in your face".

Rota has tons of different center cap styles. Some of them I can do badges for...and some I cannot. If the area that the badge is meant to stick to is flat, then I can absolutely do it. If it's convex or domed in any way, unfortunately not. LMK which scenario you're dealing with. Cost would be $65 shipped to the UK.

Keyrings are about a week away. I've got a batch of badges curing right now. Family's been sick all week so I've been working from home...nowhere near my vinyl cutter, unfortunately.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Long live the Rooster!

Remember, many women love a man with a small white..."male chicken"

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts

Drives
    Thanks Given

From the Love Guru

Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    A few weeks ago I saw this thread that was reviewing an eBay aluminum racing radiator that came with slim fans and was a steal of a price. The review was really positive. My radiator was old, crusty and brown so I decided to give it a shot.

One of the most pleasant surprises every time I work on Rooster is how everything on the car is so clean. Keep in mind, my black NB had 140,000 miles on it when I sold it. It was very well maintained but it still showed it's age - especially on the undercarriage. Rooster also shows his age on the undercarriage...only it's the fact that he's traveled a mere 40k miles in 16 years that shines through.

The plastic engine under-tray made me chuckle. My NB's was a ratty mess and half of the bolts were stripped or cross-threaded. This one is so crisp and it has bolts I never even knew were there. It was almost annoying.

The radiator itself is really good quality, considering the low price. I was impressed with how everything fitted. Well...almost everything. More on that in a moment. The radiator and fans are about the same thickness as the OEM radiator and fans. However, what it gains in core thickness it loses thanks to slim fans.

As mentioned in the thread I linked to above, you have to swap a lot of mounting hardware from your OEM radiator over to this one. Once you have them side-by-side it's dead easy to tell what needs to be swapped over.

One thing I decided to do was wire in the OEM fan connectors so that the new setup would plug and play. The fans come with basic bullet connectors.

I soldered, heat shrunk and taped the OEM connectors on.

The wires on the slim fans are plenty long enough. You really don't need anything but the connector itself but I included a couple inches of wire from the OEM pigtail just in case. There is plenty of opportunity to ziptie the excess out of the way.

The one detail that had me scratching my head was the upper water neck on the new radiator. For some reason its' canted down at a relatively significant angle.

The OEM neck comes out of the top end tank at a 90-degree angle so that it's parallel to the ground. I have not a clue why they angled this one down. Not only is it a little awkward looking, but it also causes the upper radiator hose to interfere with my IAC hose.

They actually touch. I'm sure it's not really a big deal. But it's an unnecessary deal and a little disappointing considering how impressively well designed and made the rest of the kit is.

Here's a top-down view of the whole kit installed so you can see how much room it leaves. Again...pretty much the same as the OEM radiator/fan setup but with a thicker radiator and thinner fans.

The other thing I FINALLY got to get to was the front tow hook. I haven't had an opportunity to bolt this up since I had it custom powder coated to match the burgundy side stripes on my car 6 months ago. Of course, I'll take some decent pictures some time very soon.

I'm not sure what kind of tow hook it is. I got it used from a local member a while back. He mentioned that it's one that was popular several years ago but no longer available? I dunno. I have one for the rear, too, but ran out of time to fit it. I'm not sure if it will even fit with the R-package rear lip.

At the end of the day I was really happy to spend some time wrenching on the Roadster. Haven't done that in a while and it was long overdue.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Nice update, I wish my under carriage was even a bit as clean as yours.

I would totally look into one of those ebay radiators. But mine is fairly new and It's an automatic model so I THINK I should be fine.

Tow hook looks neat on there, too.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Wow, that last picture shows just how clean the paint on your car is. Keep it up!
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    In the midst of making stripes and badges, I managed to bang out a few more stickers for Rooster. Got 'em mounted up this evening and snapped a few pics.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Very nice Steve. Well done. Like the rest of your car, it's clean.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    2002 SE Ti
    Thanks Given
    Perfect name for the perfect roadster with the perfect stickers to show it off. Well done, my friend, well damn done!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Incredible. Excellent taste man! Have you given more thought to what kind of rollbar will find its way inside? I think I was urging you get something polished at one point.

Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by stormin'norman View Post
    Incredible. Excellent taste man! Have you given more thought to what kind of rollbar will find its way inside? I think I was urging you get something polished at one point.
    I do have a plan for the roll bar. Unfortunately, it wont be polished. Mainly because I want to pad it properly and covering an $1,800 roll bar with padding so that you can barely see the shiny bits is a waste of money. I will probably powder coat a HDHCDD Chaste White and have LE red leather padding covers made.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    that sounds great

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    That Rooster Sticker is way cool!! Nice touch!!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Limited View Post
    I do have a plan for the roll bar. Unfortunately, it wont be polished. Mainly because I want to pad it properly and covering an $1,800 roll bar with padding so that you can barely see the shiny bits is a waste of money. I will probably powder coat a HDHCDD Chaste White and have LE red leather padding covers made.
    This sounds like an even better idea. But seriously that Rooster sticker is spot on. I love it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast