Thread: Shelby aka the 2003 Ford Mustang's journey from GT to GT350

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    01-27-17, cont'd: It would appear that the battery did not cure the 'battery light' issue and from my experience and my online searching for this particular make/model it seems the alternator is more than likely to blame....yay spend more money that I don't have! So it goes with cars/life.

While talking about money I don't have I thought I would put together a list of modifications and goals for Shelby. I already said why I named her Shelby, in honor of Carroll Shelby, but didn't go into much explanation for the 'GT to GT350' details.

The reason for a sort of GT350 tribute build is because it was the entry level performance model Carroll Shelby made and that usually used the same displacement v8 as the other non-Shelby model Mustang's but with some more parts to make it faster. Of course parts to add power was just part of the treatment and Carroll Shelby understood that handling was important to making a car fast as well.

Another reason for the GT350 designation is that it is the GT and plan to end up at around 300whp aka 350hp at the crank(approximately), so that the 350 designation would be fitting because car companies have used number designations for cars in reflection of how much power they made at the crank.

It really is as simple as those few reasons. Obviously they didn't offer GT350/500 trims for over 30+yrs before doing another and that wasn't till the generation after mine, the S197 chassis. So I'm not making a 'clone' per se.

Yes, people will undoubtedly talk trash about the GT350 designation, especially since I will probably do some of the 'GT350' cosmetic mods well before I reach the horsepower goal of 300whp, I'm ok with this....on to the list, this of course is a rough draft and may change as the build progresses but I have put a decent amount of thought/research into it.

Future Modifications:

Engine
    -Larger aftermarket throttle body(currently 70mm, so 78mm or bigger)
    -Aftermarket MAF housing(larger?)
    -JLT CAI and possibly a Shaker setup eventually
    -Long tube headers(may decide on shorty headers instead)
    -Aftermarket catted H pipe(H over X for the v8 rumble vs higher pitch tone of the X)
    -SLP Loudmouth catback(haven't decide between ver. 1 or 2)
    -Stage 2 cams(yes a generic term, sorry)
    -Upgraded valve springs/retainers
    -Steeda Underdrive pulleys(undecided on this mod)
    -Larger injectors(24lbs/hr or possibly bigger?)
    -Retune as needed via BAMA tuner
    -Aftermarket heads(if I HAVE to have 300+whp)

Transmission/drivetrain
    -Lightweight flywheel(it may have one, not sure at this point)
    -Aluminum driveshaft
    -Differential gears(it may also already have these, not sure, if not 3.73's more than likely)

Suspension
    -Full length subframe connectors, weld in of course
    -Aftermarket struts(QA1 more than likely)
    -Aftermarket control arms(oem ones have rust so why not)
    -Aftermarket k member(undecided) or K member brace(if I do shorty headers)
    -Aftermarket sway bars
    -Bump steer kit(it may have one already, not sure)
    -Camber plates
    -Panhard bar setup
    -Torque-Arm setup

Exterior
    -Cobra grille emblem(on its way)
    -GT350 rocker panel stripe/decal in black
    -Replace the headlights with oem/similar
    -Sequential taillight kit
    -Quarter window scoop(undecided)
    -GT350 badges(probably '68 GT350 badges since mine is an '03 and 1968 plus 35 is 2003, lol, undecided)
    -Different wheels, possibly some Weld or similar looking wheels, with more rubber
    -Front/rear 03/04 Cobra bumpers
    -Trunk w/ no spoiler or duckbill type(undecided)
    -Billet aluminum fuel door
    -Different hood if I don't do a Shaker setup

Interior
    -03/04 Mach 1 gauges(on there way)
    -red LEDS for the gagues/hvac
    -LED's for dome/map light(on there way)
    -Chrome gauge bezel rings(on there way, couldn't find brushed/satin ones)
    -Push button start(on its way)
    -Billet aluminum headlight knob(on its way)
    -Billet aluminum headlight bezel(on its way)
    -Billet aluminum turn signal cover
    -Billet aluminum door handles
    -Billet aluminum window switches
    -Billet aluminum pedal covers
    -Billet aluminum shifter trim
    -Billet aluminum steering title wheel lever
    -Billet aluminum shift knob
    -Billet aluminum HVAC knobs
    -Billet aluminum door locks
    -Billet aluminum lock grommet
    -Aftermarket floor mats with Cobra emblem or GT350(the latter would have to be custom from what I have seen)
    -Cobra steering wheel airbag
    -Aftermarket seats(undecided as the driver seat is pretty good with all the adjustments and inflatable lumbar support)
    -Shelby serial number tag(1968 style)
    -Metal door sills

So that is my 'rough list', lol. As you can see lots of metal on the interior once again, why? Because I loved how it looked in Warbird and given the GT350 tribute I think it will work well and look good. The above power mods from my research SHOULD get me close to 300whp(270-290whp depending on exact parts) and if I still want more than probably aftermarket heads(Twisted Wedge or Patriot) and aftermarket intake will get me well over 300whp. I don't expect Shelby to progress quit as fast as Warbird did but time will tell!
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 01-28-2017 at 02:39 AM. Reason: details/clarification
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (01-28-2017)