Thread: Budget Baller: C6 Corvette build thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts

Budget Baller: C6 Corvette build thread

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

If you've followed my previous thread requesting new-name ideas, you already what this is about. I still don't have a new name but I do have a new (to me) car and it's time to start a build thread, not just an unlimited-budget type either but building on a budget starting with a cheap car and making the most of already accumulated parts, points, coupons, wheelin' and dealin' and of course the invaluable help of my friends.

A little background first for those unfamiliar: I have gone from Miata to 370Z to an Atomic Orange Vette to an Inferno Orange Grand Sport with every option. Wow, that car was great but everything seem to cost double than all the rest; tires, oil, insurance and of course, car payments.

While it would have been nice to migrate to a new C7, I had an epiphany recently and decided that I valued my home more along with luxuries like running water, electricity; maybe even dinner out sometime.

So, I finally grew up (or old) and did what any middle-aged dude is expected to do: I bought another Corvette.

Now, I know what you're thinking but let me elaborate a little. I was prepared to give up the Grand Sport for something more reasonable, financeable and half the price like a Mustang, 370Z, Camaro and even an NC MX-5 but when I started looking in earnest, I was surprised to see C6 Corvettes in the same price range! I was also surprised to learn that insurance for it was only $20 more than a Miata and $80 less than a 370Z.

So now I am the proud owner of a new-to-me Corvette and not just any Corvette but a bright red one which officially makes me a clichι but I don't care. Could I have settled for a Corolla, Mazda 2 or Prius instead? Sure but none of them had a V8 and that's kind of the point. I wanted to cut my monthly costs but I'm just middle-aged, not dead. I love, love, love a nasty V8. It's addictive and like my smoking habit, it's hard to quit (although I'm working on the smoking part). That and the fact that I had a ton of aftermarket parts sitting in the storage room helped sway my decision, I admit.

Allow me to introduce "Hmmmm" That's right, no new name yet but we'll get back to that later. Under the category of Best-Bang-For-The-Buck, is my totally base 2010 Corvette.

*Fernando Alonso lookalike used for this photo. I look identical but with blond hair.

No cool, eight-way power-everything seats, no telescoping steering wheel, no touchscreen navigation stereo, no heads-up display, no giant Lambo tires and Brembo brakes but also no car payment the equivalent of a house payment. Well, there is one option it came with that surprised me and that is the removable, transparent roof. Very cool.

But what's even cooler is that for thousands less than a new Civic and certainly $17 thousand less than the latest RF (Targa top) Miata, I get a performance car with a long performance pedigree, lightweight, composite body, perfect balance (tranny is in the rear) and of course up front is what I still get giddy about: that beautiful LS3 which starts at 435hp. It's the perfect motor for me and my insurance company. Step up to a Z06 and I'm back to double the cost. Oh, did I mention it is also a Targa top?

So, mint condition, one-owner, always garaged, no accidents, check, check and check. Is it dated? Sure, compared to a C7 but I consider my cheapo C6 like an NB2 in that it got all the upgrades from the original C6 in 2008 including much nicer interior, tranny and motor. The NA is desirable despite the NB. The NB is desirable despite the NC and ND. The C6 is equally sexy despite the C7. Hell, even the C5 is a thing of beauty. You couldn't say that about a Mustang II (showing my age here) but I think you get the point.

Sounds like everything is coming up cotton candy and unicorns, right? Hell no! Right off the bat, the exhaust is beyond anemic and the suspension is terrible! It's like a cushy Cadillac that looks like sports car for old dudes that don't want to hear that annoying engine...at all...ever. I mean, I ran into Taco Bell and when I came back out, my engine was still running. Don't get the wrong idea though. There is no crappy Corvette, no V6 or 4-cylinder option like the Mustang or Camaro. Every Corvette is a V8 performance car, even the base but I'm coming from a Grand Sport so I noticed the shortcomings immediately.

And that brings us back to the point of this thread. Now that you have the background, stay tuned for my ongoing upgrades and updates.

Misc:
    What's a good looking red-head like you doing in a place like this? Coming home with me, that's what!

Agent☣Orange, it wasn't you. It was me. I just changed, that's all. You'll find someone else.

It's nothing personal. Don't get all mad!

No todo que es oro brilla.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (05-22-2017),fwdtamiya (05-21-2017),MiataQuest (05-21-2017)