Thread: And now, building for something a little different...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SigmaX's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Miata, 2013 BMW 135is
    Thanks Given
    Been a while since I updated my build thread here.

Before the holiday timeframe, my new jackstands came in and I put it up in the air. I also removed both front fenders (which had been damaged by a PO), and the front bumper cover )which had been badly damaged by a PO).

I also did my best at cleaning out the brake system, including the sediment accumulated in the resevoir:

That's not the finished state.

After cleaning out the sediment, I went to flush the brake lines and do a bleed - the first since I got the car. Then this happened, on both fronts:

Soooo, I obtained some rebuilt front calipers and R&R'd the ones that had been on the car for 170K miles. It was going to happen soon anyways, so why not now?

I started getting the cage padding set up, as well. The rulebook calls for "all portions of the roll cage that the drivers' head could come into contact with" to be covered. Well, when? Getting in and out of the car? In a wreck while being violently flung about? Just sitting there normally? I also did padding on the passenger's side to protect helmets of folks getting in and out when I'm in passenger mode.

My current list of stuff to do:
    Mount pass. seat to removable seat base and test-fit.
    Install driver's side belts.
    Install passenger's side belts.
    Teflon-wrap brake bleed screws on F D&P calipers.
    Finish bleed of brake system.
    Oil + filter change.
    Replace ball joints on D&P side.
    Buy and install new battery with some sort of restraint system.
    Remove current upper and lower control arms, front and rear, and replace with refurb units and Mazda Competition bushings.
    R&R engine mounts with Mazda Competition units.
    Replace driver's side front fender.
    Remove&Replace pass side front fender.
    Remove wiring and assy of aftermarket side markers.
    Obtain + install spoiler-less trunk lid.
    Wire-brush and cover the paintless spots on the body to prevent further rust.
    Get more aggressive alignment (excessive wear on outside shoulder of tires).
    Use remaining SFI padding in appropriate areas for safety (vs. for compliance).

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SigmaX For This Useful Post:

edizluv (01-09-2019),freedomgli (07-10-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2019),HarryB (01-07-2019),Paul B (01-07-2019),Phatmiata (01-07-2019)