Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We want BOOM!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Calebbel's Avatar
    Drives
    2006 Galaxy Gray Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    Dayum. What part of the car doesn't rattle?
    haha if you turn it up it can shake the whole car, plus the one next to it but it does sound good.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CMP's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    Test fitment is a go. The parcel deck panel has been trimmed to fit around the rollbar as well as cut to receive the two 8" subs. I used self-tapping lag screws to mount the speakers for the first fitting. Unfortunately, I can already predict where a few of the screws will encounter areas of the body that the deck panel overlaps. I'm about to go put it in the car and see what happens.

IMG_0264[1].jpg

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Calebbel's Avatar
    Drives
    2006 Galaxy Gray Miata
    Thanks Given
    ^Thats looks promising.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I just got a Kenwood head unit a few days ago and I'm working on getting it in right now. Super nice unit! I'm impressed with it.

As for the Hakuna install, personally I thought it looked cool but I nver liked it beyond that. Too much work, very high precision requirements, some mods to the surroundings to get it to fit, soft top issues and even if it all fits, you've still got two powerful subs mounted to a thin piece of tin.

Those are just my thoughts on the Hakuna idea, not your work so I wish you the best, have my fingers crossed and am very impressed with what you've done so far. Can't wait to see the end result!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CMP's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    I finished the install - that is to say, I finished enough to drive the car and listen to my music. I still have to clean up the installation and bolt down the parcel deck plate fully, since I've misplaced most of my bolts for it (facepalm). I bag and label everything, too.

Wow! What a difference. Honestly, I was expecting more rattle and buzz given the fact that it's mounted in a 'thin piece of tin', like you said, but it's surprisingly stable, even not fully bolted down. The soft top doesn't interfere at all. The sound works a little better when the top is up, but even top down, it sounds great, though highway speeds wash out the bass, as can be expected. You still feel it in the seats, though.

I'll post more pictures after I get the installation cleaned up. I need to find cheap grilles for the subs, too.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    '90 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    I thought I've seen Miata boxes on eBay. Seems like an easy way to go to throw a 10" in there easy one afternoon.
    That's where I bought mine, although finding a decent 10" speaker that would be be ok for the small internal volume is a PITA. I asked the ebay guy to make an 8" version for me & used a JL 8w1v2-4 sub mated to a JL a2150 (bridged). Sounds really good & costs very little.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123