Thread: My name is Zico, and this is my Chaste White NA8 build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! zco's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

A visit to Car Make Corn's

I was in Japan earlier this year and had a chance to drop into the Corn's workshop. I had already been chatting to Tomoyo (she's such a pleasure to deal with) regarding some orders so it was pretty cool to arrive and see my name already written on a box, with parts ready to ship home! I couldn't exactly carry a huge box with me for the rest of the holiday and then onto the plane lol. In the box were some plain Nakamae pocket less door cards. They're leather and a little more plump than the OEM ones. I wanted a clean and simple interior so these were a good choice. My car being a first generation NA8, has the same tombstone as the NA6, so I also picked up a second gen NA8 tombstone, allowing aftermarket stereos to sit flush with the fascia/tombstone.

Of course, I had to test pilot the seats. The fabric was soft and seemed quite delicate. The back and lumbar support were sufficient, although, I don’t know how they'd fair on extended drives. Thigh supports were low making it easy to get in and out of the car, would be great for a street car. I did find that my rear lats dug into the seat and made it a little uncomfortable, but that didn't happen when I used the optional cushion, which raised my seating position ever so slightly. Corn's have the regular and slimline cushions, and it actually made all the difference to my comfort. I guess we all have different shaped and size bodies, so you may not have the same issues, but if you do, give the cushion a try, it might help! Here's a photo of me in deep thought about the seats, trying to decide if I was comfortable or not haha

A few weeks later, the seats arrived. Charcoal suede + punching centre fabric. I also bought the slimline cushion and some seat belt holders. Tomoyo also sent me some Corn's seat covers from their first batch run as well, they were still being finalised when I dropped into the workshop so I didn’t get a photo of them.

I managed to get my hands on a Brand new KG Works Panel from Tomoyo as well, and I found a set of Brand new OEM meter gauges to go along with it, check out the mileage!

To be honest, I don’t even know why I bought the KG panel. It was definitely an impulse buy. You don’t see them come up for sale often, let alone a brand new one so I just thought…. well, I wasn’t thinking LOL They’re pretty cool panels, well built, tough, and definitely a sexy addition to any retro themed car. The clarity of your cluster is second to none, but I think it was one of those parts that every nice car has, and I felt like I needed to have one as well. Anyway, I worked with Adam from REVlimiter customising a full gauge and HVAC set. Turnaround time was amazing, and quality of gauges turned out pretty good too.. but the joy of owning it quickly wore off.

The entire Corn’s seat setup along with the KG Works panel were all sold off to Kevin, a friend of mine who I met through owning a Miata. I’ve been asked countless times why I sold the seats.. they’re seats most people have on their wish list, and they’re pretty perfect for the Miata. Not many seats fit in the Miata without modification to the transmission tunnel, and/or hit the door trims with doors closed, so they’re the ideal seat to have. It was another case of settling for second preference because I couldn’t find the seats I really wanted, I wasn’t honest with myself and eventually, let them go. As for the KG panel, that was just me getting carried away haha But after installation, it just looked too busy for my liking so back to the OEM setup I went.
    Last edited by zco; 11-03-2019 at 04:28 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-10-2019),BRGNA8 (11-03-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (11-03-2019),HarryB (11-03-2019),MikeA (11-04-2019),oldgrayleather (01-30-2020)