Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13b Swap

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch minto's Avatar
    Drives
    Minty.Fresh Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given

Cool 13b Swap

Hey guys, I made a thread stating I was planning on swapping a 13b into my Roadster. I wont be doing this until I iron out ALL the issues I have in mind. Along with the parts aswell.

I currently have a v8 Flyingmiata subframe.

I opted for this because it was local to me, and I didnt want to hack up the OEM frame, Id like to do this correctly if possible. With my JZX100 coming over soon as my daily, I wont be in a rush to finish this swap but I'll be sure to be on here seeking info and advice.

I use the Miata for drifting, so I would like the 13b to be single turbo, but I dont want a massive turbo, I would like to have it around 250/300hp and I also dont want to go SR or any other swap, my mind has been made up with the 13b.
    Which 13b would you guys advise me to aim for? The FD3S and swap out the twins for a single? Or a FC 13b and bolt on a turbo?

Any advice, tips would be welcome and any other bits and bobs you guys could point me towards would be great. If we could gather a collection of information or even links to browse in this thread, it would be ideal.

Thanks guys.
    ╬╬╬ [ Minty.Fresh ] ╬╬╬
    [ PROJECT-G UK DISTRIBUTOR ]
    -- www.daiko.co.uk --

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    There is a guy in my local miata club putting a 13b into his Miata, but he is putting a carbonator in it. I think if you want a turbo, go with the FC turbo II engine. But thats because I see so many FCs blow up!

Anyway look forward to what you are doing, I love me some spinning triangles.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Read up on the different mounting solutions the different 13b's have.

1st gen have a front cover mount:

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_1446.jpg

Popularly used in engine swaps. Several of the 13b swapped mx-5's use it.

2nd gen have this:

I couldn't find a good photo, but you get the jist of it here, they are under the engine, and the oil pan therefor differs from other.

http://www.banzai-racing.com/how_to/opb/dl_rebuild9.jpg

3rd gen

I don't feel like searching more today, they're different!

For your power aim:

A stock turbo II engine with a slightly uprated stock turbo should do fine, BNR hybrids are popular: http://bnrsupercars.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Blackbird's Avatar
    Drives
    2002 White / Orange lightweight Miata
    Thanks Given
    The mounting method Mazda chose for the 13B-REW is definitely the dumbest thing on earth.

Moti

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LOL's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Marina Green Mica M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    TII 13b at ~13lbs of boost with no cat a 3" exhaust and possibly a SAFC to lean out the mid-range will yield about 250 reliable hp.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Blackbird's Avatar
    Drives
    2002 White / Orange lightweight Miata
    Thanks Given
    Reliable, boost, rotary.
    Choose any two.

Moti

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thankfully.. for me, there is a guy who lives local to me who has been tuning 13b engines for longer than iv been alive. He compete's in local sprint stages with an NA FC and from what others say.. he's the man to see regarding the 13b. What he's not done before, is put one in a miata.
    ╬╬╬ [ Minty.Fresh ] ╬╬╬
    -- www.daiko.co.uk --

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by LOL View Post
    TII 13b at ~13lbs of boost with no cat a 3" exhaust and possibly a SAFC to lean out the mid-range will yield about 250 reliable hp.
    Unless on a super budget and you do it yourself, I would never bother with installing the stock ecu with all the wiring etc unless you wish to keep the engine, just that. Stock.

Whatever ecu a good local tuner or you are familiar and within your budget should be a good start.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jdmfc3s90's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    From talking to kyle mohan from mazda trix, popular is using the 1 gen mounting method. But with the sub frame u have i would opt for a turbo II motor and mounting. But depending on your choice of motor, which most rotor heads using parts from all 3 gens, and choices are vast. Theres other questions i have in general about the swap too.

Are you keeping power steering?? Moutning options, custom lines?
    Tranny choice and mounting
    Diff choices? final drive?
    Last edited by jdmfc3s90; 03-05-2012 at 09:13 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Caoboy's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given
    Most cases I've seen use the first gen front cover. Do you not need this with the V8 subframe? People have also been mentioning needing some modifications to the trans tunnel near the clutch slave, but a miata tail shaft will mate up to the TII bellhousing and gearbox.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! phrenetiK's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    13MSP with a street port and leave it NA ^_^

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well Iv taken the plunge and funny story, I was heading south this Tuesday past to test fit a Carbon Fiber roof we have been making and got a message from the guy who sold me the subframe to say he gave it another go.. bought another frame, a NA8 and fitted a 13b and gearbox to it.. but hasnt got the time to keep it going anymore and asked if I was interested before it went to the forums..

I was.. and since I was going that way anyway, we went and had a look.. Its just a bear shell with the engine/box in place. So I bought it this afternoon. The 13b is blown but im not worried, I know of plenty people here who can fix it now and already in talks.

I'll be back when I finally get it in my hands and post up some pictures for you guys to see. As far as I know its an FC turbo engine but its currently NA.
    ╬╬╬ [ Minty.Fresh ] ╬╬╬
    -- www.daiko.co.uk --

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 White Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3flippyheadlights View Post
    There is a guy in my local miata club putting a 13b into his Miata...
    Here I am. Phatmiata linked me to this forum thread and I'll just give a quick detail of what I have going on currently with my swap. I bought a 1991 13b 6 port n/a motor complete with all the efi and harness which I have stripped down to the block and plan to sell all the electronics and fuel injection system in favor of 48mm Weber IDA carbs and a Mazdatrix intake manifold designed for a Weber carb conversion. Instead of using the RX7 transmission I just swapped the bellhousings and modified my input shaft to be about .375" shorter. Currently I have the hybrid transmission bolted to the motor waiting to bring it to the shop I work at on Saturday where I will be fabricating custom motor mounts that will be welded into the V8 Roadsters mount-less subframe. That tubular subframe is an amazing piece.. it's very sturdy yet lighter than stock and the amount of clearance gained is huge. And it's a couple hundred dollars less than comparable tubular subframes I've seen.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CeeJaayDM's Avatar
    Drives
    2012 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    brapbrapbrapbrap
    instagram >>> @cmxciii

no moar miata. i just lurk & stuff now.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezi View Post
    Here I am. Phatmiata linked me to this forum thread and I'll just give a quick detail of what I have going on currently with my swap. I bought a 1991 13b 6 port n/a motor complete with all the efi and harness which I have stripped down to the block and plan to sell all the electronics and fuel injection system in favor of 48mm Weber IDA carbs and a Mazdatrix intake manifold designed for a Weber carb conversion. Instead of using the RX7 transmission I just swapped the bellhousings and modified my input shaft to be about .375" shorter. Currently I have the hybrid transmission bolted to the motor waiting to bring it to the shop I work at on Saturday where I will be fabricating custom motor mounts that will be welded into the V8 Roadsters mount-less subframe. That tubular subframe is an amazing piece.. it's very sturdy yet lighter than stock and the amount of clearance gained is huge. And it's a couple hundred dollars less than comparable tubular subframes I've seen.
    Thanks for the info man! Thanks for joining up. I still dont have this car yet! Been building up my other mx ready for a drift comp this weekend.
    ╬╬╬ [ Minty.Fresh ] ╬╬╬
    -- www.daiko.co.uk --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast