Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13b Swap

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 White Miata
    Thanks Given
    Just a quick update:
    I have the motor and trans mounted in the car and the next step I plan to take is cleaning up the engine bay, removing unnecessary wires and brackets. Here is the link to my build thread on the local Miata forum I joined. http://tampabaymiatas.net/forum/view...hp?f=4&t=11643 If anyone has any questions feel free to pm/email me.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Kyle L's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Pics of mounts please?
    Build thread : Click Here

Idling - Listen to it purr... recklessabandon's Avatar
    Drives
    a Silverstone NA
    Thanks Given
    when you get that motor in there, be prepared for fun.

Drives
    1990 White Miata
    Thanks Given
    Kyle, I'll try getting a picture of the mounts sometime this week. Right now I'm working on putting the transmission and driveshaft back in, then I'll be working on fuel and intake this week. Recklessabandon, I love your car and I've saved every picture I found of your car to help me figure out where to place things. Specifically this picture http://www.myspace.com/na6_build/pho...s_AP_ViewPhoto has helped me a bunch for figuring out how to do the fuel delivery.

Idling - Listen to it purr... recklessabandon's Avatar
    Drives
    a Silverstone NA
    Thanks Given
    thanks dezi. if any of you guys need help with your swaps, just send me a pm.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Kyle L's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by recklessabandon View Post
    thanks dezi. if any of you guys need help with your swaps, just send me a pm.
    Sweet you'll deff be hearing from me! Curious to see everyone's mounting solutions. Also how you ran your header/exhausts.
    Build thread : Click Here

Drives
    1990 White Miata
    Thanks Given
    I was doing some header/exhaust fitment the other day, first time I actually noticed that the 13b header is on the opposite side as the 1.6l. I fit the large boxy part of the 13b's header after I grinded down the corner on the lowered "fin" of it where it was touching my subframe. It seems to come down in a good spot but there will definitely need to be a custom section made to link the headers to my Miata Borla cat-back system. I'm just going to get car running on open header first before making the custom section in case things need to change. My passenger side mount I made a plate that used the same bolt pattern to go under the oil pan (where that cast aluminum bracket went) and then welded a plate coming off of my tubular subframe, then I used a Chevy S10 suspension bushing (control arm I think) as my rubber shock obsorber between the 2 plates, it's all connected with a bolt and washer. Driver side is the same setup besides it uses and L shaped plate that bolted to the center Iron. Then I have a hybrid transmission using the stock Miata tailshaft and mid gear section, and the RX7 bell housing so the rear is supported by the PPF in the factory position. Honestly I have no idea how my engine mounts will work when the car runs, it was my first time ever making something like that so I'm sure there is a better way to do it. The engine is very stiff though, when I push and pull it barely moves, compared to my Miata engine which moved about 1.5 inches either way.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch gapmiatas's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1991 Crabbycar
    Thanks Given
    A rotary swap is on the agenda when my motor goes POP!

Interested in seeing how you handle moving the exhaust to the other side. Especially on a lowered car. This has been the only thing I've really be concerned about.

Had my interest piqued again this morning when I saw this vid of a bridgeported 12A:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs9U3ABBgtk

Drives
    1990 White Miata
    Thanks Given
    No longer have this project. But you would have to build a custom midpipe from the pass. side 13b header to either switch back over to the driver side and use stock exhaust the rest of the way or just run the pipe straight back tucked close to the body with heat shielding. I don't believe either method would be very "slam" friendly unless you squish down the round tubing into more of an oval shape so that the height does not hang down lower than the frame rails. I'm not sure if an oval would be equal or less as far as flow goes but I imagine it should be near the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12