Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Front Wheel Drive MX-5

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Maikeru's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    This will kill the MX-5. Kinda like how Toyota killed the Celica. Super popular the first few generations when they were RWD. The they switch to FWD, but thankfully also released the GT4. The FWD models were a complete flop regardless of the fact they could keep up to ITR's. Within a generation, the Celica was discontinued. This will be the future of the Miata unless Mazda pulls their head out of their ass.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Well, to be quite honest, the Celica was discontinued because it was competing with the tC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! urban's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I read this.and i really dont see enough to believe it will be fwd.
    its a uk rep . not even jpn or na.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Maikeru's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Well, to be quite honest, the Celica was discontinued because it was competing with the tC.
    That's the cop out that Toyota used. The Celica was similar in price, handled better, got better gas millage, and was faster. It was a far superior car to that terd they call a TC. They just wanted to boost Scion sales and couldn't do that with the Celica around. Celica's were never popular in the US anyway. Most of the sales came from Europe and Japan.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Maikeru View Post
    That's the cop out that Toyota used. The Celica was similar in price, handled better, got better gas millage, and was faster. It was a far superior car to that terd they call a TC. They just wanted to boost Scion sales and couldn't do that with the Celica around. Celica's were never popular in the US anyway. Most of the sales came from Europe and Japan.
    I thought it was quite a bit more expensive? Something like $5k more? Meh, i dunno, but i agree with you, it was a FAR superior car.
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    A FWD Miata? They'll probably call it the "STD" variant...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CeeJaayDM's Avatar
    Drives
    2012 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    mazda del sol lol
    instagram >>> @cmxciii

no moar miata. i just lurk & stuff now.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given
    This will never happen, I guarantee it. Even if the car isn't a huge cash cow on its own, it is still the number 1 selling sports car of all time. The enthusiast market is important to Mazda and the fact that it is also the most raced car in the world is not lost on Mazda. The car is a PR tool in addition to a volume sports car. The ND will be RWD. 100%.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! thedguy's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
    Mazda and all their ads about the Passion of driving and zoom zoom, and first kill the rx, now this would essentially kill the mx. So much for driving Passion...
    The head of marketing over at Mazda these days (they ditched the company that came up with Zoom Zoom about a year ago) doesn't understand why anyone would want the Mazdaspeed 3 when the current Mazda 3 "already gets me speeding tickets."

Quote Originally Posted by adam777 View Post
    This will never happen, I guarantee it. Even if the car isn't a huge cash cow on its own, it is still the number 1 selling sports car of all time. The enthusiast market is important to Mazda and the fact that it is also the most raced car in the world is not lost on Mazda. The car is a PR tool in addition to a volume sports car. The ND will be RWD. 100%.
    Lotus would never go FWD, they'd never build a heavy luxury cruiser, Porsche would never build an SUV.

Mazda doesn't have as much Ford backing as they used to, at this point I wouldn't be surprised for a FWD MX-5 just because they don't have any rear-drive IRS vehicles to pull parts from once the NC goes out of production.
    Last edited by thedguy; 03-16-2012 at 06:27 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! diabeetus's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red CE (Cowabunga Edition)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by thedguy View Post
    Porsche would never build an SUV.
    Classic RED 90'
    cowabunga dudes!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by diabeetus View Post

I think he meant that as an example of why a FWD Miata is plausible...

But this is fun. Here's the other two he was talking about:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! adamvanxxx's Avatar
    Drives
    Beat NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by diabeetus View Post
    He was saying those things because people always thought that and it happened.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! friday's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I think the Porsche SUV is a bad example. Porsche still make their quintessential sports car (911) and it is still rear engine. If mazda were to make the Miata FWD it would be more like Porsche scraping the current 911 layout and turning it into an SUV and still calling it a 911.

I think if mazda wanted to make a FWD "sports" car, then they would create a new car. I doubt they would use the mx-5 name.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    I think if mazda wanted to make a FWD "sports" car, then they would create a new car. I doubt they would use the mx-5 name.
    ^^This... more power to them if they want to create a new FWD sports model.. just dont call it the MX5.
    If they cant afford to properly produce the MX5 now then they should end production on it until it becomes viable again.
    2005 Mazdaspeed Miata - Lava Orange #225
    1994 Mazda Miata - Black B Package

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! BlueMotorsport's Avatar
    Drives
    92 NA / 04 is300 / 14 sportage turbo
    Thanks Given
    this ^. It would ruin the miata if they started the next gen on a FWD platform. But i guess we should have seen this coming. RX was 1st now its the MX-5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast