Thread: Top questions

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1997 Classic Red Miata
    Thanks Given

Top questions

So I have recently purchased this 1997 Miata (just love this car BTW) but notice a bit of sunlight shooting through a small finger sized hole in the back area of the top. I also notice on the highway that the top balloons and the center strap is no longer attached to the brace bar. I know it will need a new top soon and would just rather fix it now while I have some tax return money.

From your experiences, what kind of convertible tops would you suggest, either aftermarket, or if Mazda still has them for this old car at the dealer? What are you guys using and where did you buy them? Pictures, links etc, any / all help is welcome!

Jack

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Robbins Top (Aftermarket) is probably one of the best bets out there, I had one on my last Miata.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2001 SE BRG
    Thanks Given
    +1 on the Robbins.They're cut perfect. They have all the holes in the right places, making it almost impossible to put it on wrong. Their 3 year warranty is legit, as they gave me a brand new top after 2 1/2 years because 1 stitch came loose, which may have been my fault.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    If your money is tight, you can repair your top until the budget allows.

In the past I have used gorilla glue to reattach the top to a bow. It is fairly easy, you just need to allow time for the glue to set. The hole, if straight, can be fixed using clear RTV (or black if your top is black) from the underside.