Thread: Help! WTF is this noise?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given

Help! WTF is this noise?

So, today I took the miata out since its been almost a week since I've driven it.

Along the drive, i noticed that I was having a knocking sound from the rear, to me it initially sounded like a blown shock. i continued to drive around, when suddenly the sound got WAY WORSE. The sound was very distinct, its a LOUD knocking sound. I believe the sound is coming from the center of the rear of the car. The sound occurs up decel but not at any time when I have a constant acceleration. This leads me to believe that the U joint/s are bad. Or I have a bad CV?

In the morning Ill be able to jack the car up and take a look, but Ive never experienced a car that made this sound. The sound is a mix between a flat tire, and the sound of a piece of heavy rubber taped to the drive shaft knocking around as it spins.

Ive I drive VERY slowly, I can almost hear something dragging? or something rubber sounding like its tearing?

If it is the Ujoint, I need to source a new driveshaft right? Since the joints are non serviceable? How do I go about checking the CV axles?
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Is it happening when you're not braking and just coasting or only if you're braking gently?
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    I actually just figured it out this morning. It was happening when I would coast. Turns out the bolts that hold the shaft to the pinion had worked their way loose. Blue loctite + torque wrench = winning.
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Well that was easy
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
    I actually just figured it out this morning. It was happening when I would coast. Turns out the bolts that hold the shaft to the pinion had worked their way loose. Blue loctite + torque wrench = winning.
    Lol ya, after I responded I went into your build thread and saw you found the problem. Glad you got it fixed quickly!
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain