Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coilover at $1200 price point? So many options >_<

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given

Coilover at $1200 price point? So many options >_<

So, as some of you have seen my build, Im building a car for light track use(hpde, adams motorsports park, etc), autox, and to hit the local canyons.

The car spends the majority of its time in the canyons and at adam's(for those of you who dont know, think go kart track).

The time has come where I need new suspension, the car has some non-oem branded oem type shocks with lowering springs and its killing me, and my passengers.

I need a suspension that will handle decently well, while not washing out in the rough road.

My options:

Koni + GC 450f/300r + FCM mounting setup = $1200 (I hear the excessive rebound of konis may cause washout over rough road?)

Koni + GC 375f/250r + FCM mounting setup = $1200 (Lower rates that the konis can handle better?)

949racing Tein street advance setup (NB top hats, 9k/6k springs) = $1150 (I hear good and bad about tein, Halp?)

Rspeed Fortune Auto coilover setup = $1100 (Im only mildly considering this, Ive heard good and bad, and I havnt seen enough about them to really trust fortune auto)

Megan Street coilovers 10k/8k springs = $850 (Greenteee halp? Ive seen the dyno plots, people say they dont look great...but I dont know how to read dyno plots so I have no clue?)

Or should I not even be considering this price point? Should I save up for 6 months just to buy some xida's or FCM's? Im on a college student budget here.

The koni setup seems nice because it has a lifetime warranty on everything, while everything else has a 1 year warranty... But on the flip side konis are hell to revalve, while teins are rebuild/revalveable here in cali.

I've ridden in koni cars, but never with linear spring rates. I've never been in a car with fortune autos. I've seen tein flex setups perform well, and my buddy is supposed to let me drive his car with megan EZ's on it pretty soon.
    Last edited by xjdesertfox; 04-04-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power The Platypus's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    Save some more and get FCMs like me. Honestly, you won't regret it.
    Brandon
    My Build | flikr | BC Garage Blog | Instagram - @bcgarage

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I have to throw this out there, but read up on how to decipher shock dynos and how they relate to your driving requirements. It takes a little reading to grasp the info, bit it will help you make a better decision. All of your choices are from top notch Miata vendors. $1100 is nothing to sneeze at, so rather than taking a risk on subjective opinions start by qualifying your search by learning the data. Good luck!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Platypus View Post
    Save some more and get FCMs like me. Honestly, you won't regret it.
    I'll be going that route, but man 1700 mollars is A LOT of mullah!!!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! adamvanxxx's Avatar
    Drives
    Beat NA
    Thanks Given
    Heard/read SO much about how awesome the Xida CS is, if it were my money I would put it there.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Haven't been on the Xida's in particular(obviously people love them) but from some sour experiences with other AST models/ and the company as a whole at work I personally wouldn't recommend it. However having been in a FCM equipped Miata I would gravitate that way or Ohlins DFV (awesome).

Should also throw this out and mention I've spent time chasing Ohlins DFV and Tein Monoflex equipped Miatas at ORP and there was a blatant night and day difference in cornering speeds between my car (Basic 8/6k) and the DFV 8/6 whereas only marginal difference in cornering speeds vs my friend's 10/8k Monoflex.
    Last edited by stormin'norman; 04-04-2012 at 05:57 PM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Mmmmmmmmm Ohlins mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Thanks Given
    Should also make note of the obvious wait times that seem to come with FCM products. But well worth it is what I hear from everyone I've talked to that purchased.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by stormin'norman View Post
    Should also make note of the obvious wait times that seem to come with FCM products. But well worth it is what I hear from everyone I've talked to that purchased.
    When i was in Grand Junction with my MSM, there was a guy that i hung out with for 2 days that had a CHERRY red n/a with an FCM setup. It seemed to handle extremely well. I had to hustle pretty hard to stay with him. Looked very composed. I'd be interested to see how it would react being pushed to 9/10s or 10/10s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    When i was in Grand Junction with my MSM, there was a guy that i hung out with for 2 days that had a CHERRY red n/a with an FCM setup. It seemed to handle extremely well. I had to hustle pretty hard to stay with him. Looked very composed. I'd be interested to see how it would react being pushed to 9/10s or 10/10s.
    Unfortunately I've only experienced FCM's on the street and with surprisingly mild spring rates ~375/250 iirc. I was really shocked with how much grip was made available to the car. Mid corner bumps were absorbed in stride at just about any speed. The car was never upset by potholes, seams and imperfections but just felt very very sporty and taught without being too harsh so as to lose grip. Great street setup that really made Shaihks shock knowledge shine. I imagine something more track oriented would be equally as incredible.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Wow this is really making me reconsider some fcm's. The fact that he just raised his price to $1750 makes it harder though

Maybe ill send him a message. If not, I think ill go the tein route.
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I'll be going that route, but man 1700 mollars is A LOT of mullah!!!
    Yeah, and the wait time was almost unbearable. But I pretty much fell in love with my car again (and twice as hard) after installing them and driving on them for the first time.
    I have never drove on any other aftermarket suspension though, so I can't say that FCMs are better than blah blah, but I can say that I would definitely buy them again.
    Brandon

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Platypus View Post
    Yeah, and the wait time was almost unbearable. But I pretty much fell in love with my car again (and twice as hard) after installing them and driving on them for the first time.
    I have never drove on any other aftermarket suspension though, so I can't say that FCMs are better than blah blah, but I can say that I would definitely buy them again.
    How long ago did you order/get them? I know someone who just got the "new" FCM's and the wait was six weeks...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    How long ago did you order/get them? I know someone who just got the "new" FCM's and the wait was six weeks...
    I ordered them back in October/early November. I think I was one of the first to get the "new" ones, but I got them for the previous price (I think mine were possibly the first to be painted like that. He also used them for the pictures I think). I received them in mid to late January I think
    Brandon

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Ohlins if you've got the dough, but for $1200 I'd say Tein for sure.
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast