Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coilover at $1200 price point? So many options >_<

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Platypus View Post
    Well I'm still biased towards FCMs. Teins are good too. Do you NEED the coilovers now? Because if you save up a little bit more, you can then choose between FCMs, Tein Mono Flex etc.
    Monos are nice. They need quite a bit of tire though to keep the car under you though. One of my track buddy's has them on his '94 and his 205 Re11's provide barely enough grip to really work the shocks and spring rates. His 205/50 Hoozier SM6's are more ideal.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power The Platypus's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    Ah, I didn't know that. I guess I never really thought about it though since it was not one of the options I was looking at when I got my suspension sorted.
    Brandon
    My Build | flikr | BC Garage Blog | Instagram - @bcgarage

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Ah, I didn't know that. I guess I never really thought about it though since it was not one of the options I was looking at when I got my suspension sorted.
    I would certainly not discount it. Very nice kit. But it's probably more than what's needed for a car that might see street use. I'd probably go the FCM route for that kind of money.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Well I'm still biased towards FCMs. Teins are good too. Do you NEED the coilovers now? Because if you save up a little bit more, you can then choose between FCMs, Tein Mono Flex etc.
    Im actually researching now for about a month down the road. A roll bar is the immediate priority right now which I'm using my money for.

But that just means more time for research!

Also, If I'm going to step over the $1200 price point, Im not stopping anywhere up the ladder until I hit basic xida's for $2100.
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power The Platypus's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    Good idea. Don't limit yourself to a price like that. You could always save some more and get what you really want.
    Brandon
    My Build | flikr | BC Garage Blog | Instagram - @bcgarage

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Black 1999 NB
    Thanks Given
    Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on what you want, so what I have to say will mean little to nothing. My NB has Megan EZ-Streets on it. I am looking forward to the day I can take them off and get something better. I will be selling these things cheap when the time comes too. I do not like the setup in the least. I don't mind a stiff ride, but something about these just seems punishing as you drive down the street. I don't have them slammed, in fact I raised the car up from where the previous owner had the car set. The ride quality did improve some, but not enough to justify keeping them.

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Ive been reading more and more. Although my mind changes a ton, I'm leaning towards flex now. A) because I can get flex in my price range from a vendor B) Because I've been reading that flex is better for the height i'd like to be at (~12")

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    has anybody in this thread ridden in a car on AST's?

Thinking on "do it once, do it right" im really tempted to put Xida's on my car. Especially if there is a noticeable difference over flex.

Idling - Listen to it purr... TheQuickness's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 RED (CARlos); '90 WHITE (doesn't run yet)
    Thanks Given
    What about BC Racing BR's? My friend seems to enjoy his quite alot. Does very well out at my local autocross league. Not that I know anything useful about his stuff. I am but a peon lol.
    Jinba ittai ftw

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power EMMI's Avatar
    Drives
    suupazilla
    Thanks Given
    if u want it to be good at one thing, get the Xidas. Im sure those are really hardcore track worthy. if u want it to do everything really well (slam, drift, track, street), my vote still goes for Flex.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ll=1#post40167

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    You think I could get a ride in your car at the next kinod I make it to? Its looking like a 1000 dollar difference between flex and xida CS, so if the flex are that good, I dont see why I wouldnt get them. Theres just that burning thought in my mind, "what if I should have spent the extra for the xidas?"

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
    You think I could get a ride in your car at the next kinod I make it to? Its looking like a 1000 dollar difference between flex and xida CS, so if the flex are that good, I dont see why I wouldnt get them. Theres just that burning thought in my mind, "what if I should have spent the extra for the xidas?"
    The Flex are really great and the average user who does mostly street and the occasional track day probably won't notice a difference. If you care about strictly performance though, the difference in damping is night and day between the Flex and Xida's. Xida's are up there with Ohlins and Moton, and a coilover you would never need to "upgrade" from.

Don't get me wrong though, the Flex are still a great track damper, just not on the same level. Different tools for different jobs.
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

Drives
    30AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by EMMI View Post
    if u want it to be good at one thing, get the Xidas. Im sure those are really hardcore track worthy. if u want it to do everything really well (slam, drift, track, street), my vote still goes for Flex.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ll=1#post40167
    Emmi,

What direct personal experience do you have with the Xida's and Flex to support your suggestion that the Flex are better all around?

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by 949 Racing View Post
    Emmi,

What direct personal experience do you have with the Xida's and Flex to support your suggestion that the Flex are better all around?
    I was hoping you would chime in here. Being that you sell flex and the ASTs.

What is your opinion on the matter? For a car that sees canyons with rough roads, track(more than likely local stuff like adams/SOW), and some street. The car
    has 205 federal RSRs, and once I get more serious on the track, 225 NT01's.

Are the xidas superior in every aspect? What rates should I expect to run, I dont mind running super stiff rates on the street, but I'd like my car to resist getting upset by rough pavement. Should I stick with the 700/400? Or drop down a bit?

What about with flex? OTS rates? or 9/6k?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I think Steve @ R2-limited.com has xida's on his NA, maybe he can chime in too!? Im also in the market for coilovers, and I know there are more options than you can imagine, just pick up a HyperREV, its nuts!

Its great to have all the options, but gets confusing without much feedback from users, be it street guys, weekend racers, or full time race prepped cars.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast