Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tein or Raceland suspension?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Ride height also plays a role in the amount of body roll.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! BlueMotorsport's Avatar
    Drives
    92 NA / 04 is300 / 14 sportage turbo
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    I've had both Racelands and VMaxx on Miata's and all I can say is that both are pretty much the same thing and absolutely horrible. Spring rates are way too soft and the shocks blew out in less than a month on both of mine. Pretty much the only thing they're good for is being slammed, because why should you waste an expensive coilover on that. Go with the Tein's if it will ever see the track!
    ^this is what i was looking for. So many members state that "omg go with this company blah blah blah" and they are no different then the racelands. i put my order in for the teins, and for the did somebody really ask this question? yes i did and for good reason. Nothing compares to real world experience and the word of the customer. I thank you all for the input, and will give feedback on the tein coilovers once they are on the car

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdallas View Post
    These instances were on others' cars. The Godspeeds (on a 240) were BRAND new, the other set ups were probably between 1-2 years.
    Wait... so you aren't even comparing Miatas to Miatas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    seems legit.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Sounds like it, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by stormin'norman View Post
    seems legit.
    Definitely!

Bro, my Celica on Megans handles better than my Miata on Bilstein/Mazdaspeed setup. This means Macstrut > double wishbones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Sounds like it, doesn't it?
    Sure does...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    My miata with FM springs completely killed that focus hatch in the corners, and he has coils! Just goes to prove FM is king and you don't need a proper coilover setup when springs will do the trick.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Thank you, no one ever brings that up. The lower you go on an McPherson Strut or SLA suspension like the Miata, the more body roll you get.
    When you lower the suspension, the roll center actually drops more then the center of gravity does, thus making the roll couple longer. In turn, gravity now has more "leverage" to roll the car around and it will actually be less stable than it was at stock height.

All of that goes out the window if you're on bump stops. Some people think their Racelands handle great in the corners. They don't. Their bumpstops handle good in the corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMotorsport View Post
    ^this is what i was looking for. So many members state that "omg go with this company blah blah blah" and they are no different then the racelands. i put my order in for the teins, and for the did somebody really ask this question? yes i did and for good reason. Nothing compares to real world experience and the word of the customer. I thank you all for the input, and will give feedback on the tein coilovers once they are on the car
    I'm glad I could help you figure it out. I wish you luck with the Tein's!
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMotorsport View Post
    Even questioning the comparison of ricelands and Tein shows that you had done zero research. It's like asking if you should buy a bottle of filtered piss or a bottle of (insert name brand water here).
    1997 Red Miata -SOLD
    2005 TI MSM - SOLD

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! diabeetus's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red CE (Cowabunga Edition)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
    Even questioning the comparison of ricelands and Tein shows that you had done zero research. It's like asking if you should buy a bottle of filtered piss or a bottle of (insert name brand water here).
    is the piss fresh? or 1+ days old?
    Classic RED 90'
    cowabunga dudes!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by diabeetus View Post
    is the piss fresh? or 1+ days old?
    3+ days on the side of a road in Arizona stored in a milk jug.
    1997 Red Miata -SOLD
    2005 TI MSM - SOLD

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! diabeetus's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red CE (Cowabunga Edition)
    Thanks Given
    oh shit. yeah that'll do it hahaa
    Classic RED 90'
    cowabunga dudes!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    Thank you, no one ever brings that up. The lower you go on an McPherson Strut or SLA suspension like the Miata, the more body roll you get.
    When you lower the suspension, the roll center actually drops more then the center of gravity does, thus making the roll couple longer. In turn, gravity now has more "leverage" to roll the car around and it will actually be less stable than it was at stock height.

All of that goes out the window if you're on bump stops. Some people think their Racelands handle great in the corners. They don't. Their bumpstops handle good in the corners.
    Ben, are we talking "stock" stock height, like 13+ fender to wheel center? Or is there a reasonable amount of drop that will improve the handling, before you go too far (slammed). I'm asking this(no expert here), because, spec Miatas run lower than stock height, and they look like they handle pretty good. I measured five and a quarter inches from the bottom pinch weld (rear) to the ground, on a SSM raced Miata.

-Jim

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    Ben, are we talking "stock" stock height, like 13+ fender to wheel center? Or is there a reasonable amount of drop that will improve the handling, before you go too far (slammed). I'm asking this(no expert here), because, spec Miatas run lower than stock height, and they look like they handle pretty good. I measured five and a quarter inches from the bottom pinch weld (rear) to the ground, on a SSM raced Miata.

-Jim
    Yes, this doesn't happen too drastically until you lower the car to the point where the control arms are facing up towards the chassis instead of down away from the chassis. Ideally you want your lower control arms facing slightly down away from the car. Lowering the car a little bit does help CG a bit but I wouldn't necessarily say that there is a perfect ride height for performance. It all depends on your spring rate/aero setup/etc.

Also the camber curve starts to get steep past more than a few inches lower than stock anyways. You ideally want to set each end of the car so that it's in the correct part of the camber curve for how much camber you want it to gain. For example, if you want the front to gain more camber you would lower it, then realign so the static camber is the same. It would then gain camber quicker as you traveled through the suspension, but have the same camber static.
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Dmn2258's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 93 with LE red interior
    Thanks Given
    i would agree to go with Tein coils. I've heard mostly bad things about "ricelands". But If you wanted to save a little money, I have Megan Racing EZ Streets on my na which I got for around $600 off ebay and I'm very pleased with them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast