Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve Cover Baffle Screws

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    That's really a good question for an oil catch-can thread but the quick answer is you should never pack steel wool inside the baffles. Not only does it impede what little airflow there is (too little IMO) but there's moisture in that system that turns the steel wool into rust which then travels back through the intake tube on one side and through the PCV valve and intake manifold on the other side. The remaining material just becomes an oily blob that impedes crankcase ventilation. In short, it's a bad idea.
    I mentioned "stainless steel" wool. I assumed regular stuff would rust. My thought is, that the really course stuff (for scrubbing pans) would be there to condense the oil vapor, so it's less likely to get sucked back into the air intake.

-Jim

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Yeah you did. I just saw the steel wool part and went from there. Either way, I wouldn't stick anything in the baffles. If anything, I'd look for ways to vent the valve cover more efficiently.

I would like to add that we're deviating from the OP's original question which has been answered now. Ventilation and oil catching are excellent topics to bring up in a new thread. Just don't want a thread about screw size turn into 10 pages of something else.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 00'
    Thanks Given
    I would like to add that we're deviating from the OP's original question which has been answered now. Ventilation and oil catching are excellent topics to bring up in a new thread. Just don't want a thread about screw size turn into 10 pages of something else.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all the input!! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12