Thread: Weirdest Problem Ever 1997 Miata

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1997 Miata MX5
    Thanks Given

Weirdest Problem Ever 1997 Miata

I sure hope someone can help me.

I drive a 1997 Mazda Miata. I bought it twelve years ago and drove it everyday for about six.
    But then life happened and it sat for about five years in Southeast Alaska and had numerous problems as a result. I have fixed all of the problems save one that has even my engineer friend puzzled.

It idles fine, it runs fine for about an hour; then it just starts to loose power every time I push in the accelerator. if at this point, I engage the clutch, the engine revs normally. Once I put the load back on it starts to hesitate again. Sometimes this goes away and sometime it keeps happening to the point where it is a little scary. It has never actually died on me. Once I let it sit for an hour or so it runs fine again for a while.

I have changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter and drained and flushed the fuel tank...

Any thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Iconoclast For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-11-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I sure hope someone can help me.

I drive a 1997 Mazda Miata. I bought it twelve years ago and drove it everyday for about six.
    But then life happened and it sat for about five years in Southeast Alaska and had numerous problems as a result. I have fixed all of the problems save one that has even my engineer friend puzzled.

It idles fine, it runs fine for about an hour; then it just starts to loose power every time I push in the accelerator. if at this point, I engage the clutch, the engine revs normally. Once I put the load back on it starts to hesitate again. Sometimes this goes away and sometime it keeps happening to the point where it is a little scary. It has never actually died on me. Once I let it sit for an hour or so it runs fine again for a while.

I have changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter and drained and flushed the fuel tank...

Any thoughts?
    Just curious. Fuel filter before or after the tank flush? Do you have E-10 or 15 up that far?

Ask because dead gas would be my first guess. Gasoline gels down here (Lower south-east continental) over years. But with your temps. and lack of humidity it could go sooner. If it sat that long with an alcohol mix gas then you have to think that there might be rust flaking in the fuel lines. Clogged injectors?

You 'Palooza bound?

Hope this helps,
    Rick
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

Iconoclast (05-12-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 90blue's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata 1990 blue VVT AEM EMS4
    Thanks Given
    If you have no codes, as stated, no fuel or a blocked exhaust, like a bad cat seems probable.
    No fuel from a clogged filter or injectors, bad TPS, leaking lines or a bad gas cap.
    Peter

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I would also suspect the coil packs and/or plug leads; losing power as they get hot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Iconoclast (05-12-2016)

Drives
    1997 Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by NCGreasemonkey View Post
    Just curious. Fuel filter before or after the tank flush? Do you have E-10 or 15 up that far?

Ask because dead gas would be my first guess. Gasoline gels down here (Lower south-east continental) over years. But with your temps. and lack of humidity it could go sooner. If it sat that long with an alcohol mix gas then you have to think that there might be rust flaking in the fuel lines. Clogged injectors?

You 'Palooza bound?

Hope this helps,
    Rick
    Rick:

Everyone has said bad fuel. I changed the filter before I flushed the tank. I can change it again. The only problem with the fuel idea is that it revs and idles fine when there is no load on the enginer? I have thought about pulling the injectors, but wouldn't that cause problems all the time, not just under load?

Iconoclast

Drives
    1997 Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Peter:

My best friend keeps saying it is the cat, but once I told him it only happens under load he scratched his head and said that doesn't make any sense?

Iconoclast

Drives
    1997 Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    ...sorry got to ask; what is "Palooza"?

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    ...sorry got to ask; what is "Palooza"?
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....L-Event-Thread

https://www.facebook.com/Miatapalooza

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Same situation happened with my friends MG Miget & Porsche. I helped him clean out the old fuel out, and basically did a tune up. We got it to finally run, but the idle was still inconsistent for a while, until we added fuel system cleaner and drove it some more.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Peter:

My best friend keeps saying it is the cat, but once I told him it only happens under load he scratched his head and said that doesn't make any sense?

Iconoclast
    Actually if the cat was clogging the issue would be most apparent under load because if the cat was clogging as the load increase, exhaust flow/velocity increases thus making it more apparent.

If driving on the highway does it not want to accelerate at certain speeds? Or after driving on the highway check the exhaust manifold to see if it is unusually hot, could be bad enough to even cause the manifold to start to glow orange/red.

Maybe buy a infared temp sensor and check to temperature of the cat after some spirited driving or extended highway speeds. I'm sure you could locate what a properly functioning catalytic converters temp should be at. Not saying it is the cat but if it is those are things to check.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-14-2016)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Airbrush1's Avatar
    Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    I'd venture to say it's a coilpack issue based on the fact it only happens after things are nice and warm.... That said, it could also be a bad sensor of some sort (air temp sensor?) Check for vacuum leaks that might arise once the plastic/rubber gets nice and warm, you can use a can of carb cleaner to spray lightly around the intake and vacuum lines. My corvette had a misfire that I finally diagnosed as a vacuum leak in a hard vacuum line that only leaked when it was warm and pliable.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Dump some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank to help clean things out. Maybe try replacing the fuel pump.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    I'm in agreement with AirBrush1 on the fact that "if it only happens warm" part. Electronics breakdown under heat. Coil, plug wires, cam sensor. Do you or a friend have an ignition scope so you can see the firing lines? Or when it is acting up pull one plug wire and see if you can tell that a certain cylinder is the dead one. Be very careful! Man bit close to fender metal and a removed plug wire. The spark jumps from somewhere.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-15-2016)