Thread: My NB Daily Driver - Harbinger

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    This thread lacks recent updates. So plans changed and my car went up to DIYAutoTune and was the test platform for the new MSPnP for the 99-00 chassis. A lot of people have been waiting for this to come out. So now I'll be using that instead of the eManage for engine control with the turbo.

Meanwhile, the front bumper loses paint if you look at it wrong and the rear decklid wasn't painted correctly before the MSM spoiler was installed, two things that I've wanted to fix for a while, so they were pulled and taken to my paint guy while the car was up at DIY.

Here's the new sporty look:

I've also gained access to a blasting booth and powdercoating equipment, so I'm starting with a few small projects to learn with, currently in the raw state:

VC.jpg

My Carbing front tow hook was used when I got it, still in great shape, but missing its coating in some small spots. Daily driving with it has worn it a bit more. I'm also redoing the rear tow hook as the coating was damaged in the mail and I just put a coat of gloss red paint on it to cover that up. Both are getting coated gloss red.

The valve cover had been painted well with silver wheel paint and then clearcoated, but aircraft stripper and some work with the sandblaster took care of all that. It's going to get a black base coat with a translucent red top coat. In dark lighting it will look black and in brighter lighting it will look red to dark red depending on the angle you look at it.

And then last night (7/26), Harbinger took an *** whooping. It's not exactly how I would have liked my workday to end, this happened while sitting at the exit at work. The Silverado in front of me decided he didn't want to turn right anymore but instead wanted to get into the other lane to go straight, so he backed up. Onto my hood. Halfway up it. He says he didn't see me in his mirrors or hear my Nautilus horn. No one was hurt though.

Fortunately my normal bumper hadn't come back from paint yet and I hadn't installed my GV eyelids yet either. But this will require a new hood, passenger headlight, probably passenger fender, and repair/replacement of the front bumper that is kindly being lent to me.

All that got hurt under the hood was the cam angle sensor and luckily I had one of those at the house. The rear ends on those single cab, short bed '08 Silverados sit so high that its spare tire was the first thing to contact my hood and you can see where that started. Could have been worse, but damn.

Going to have an insurance rep. do a shop repair estimate on Monday, but hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
    Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 07-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.