Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What got you into miatas?

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts

What got you into miatas?

I assume one reason everyone here likes the miata is because it is a convertible. What got you started with rag tops?

For me, it was my father’s 1966 Pontiac Catalina. It was huge (could easily accommodate 6 – 3 front 3 rear), but it was fun to drive in with the top down. We would work on it together and replaced the tired original 389 2 barrel engine with a 389 with 400 heads and a tri power set up out of a ’67 GTO, which in turn made it even more fun to drive in.
    1966 Catalina.JPG

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    The ragtop is just an added bonus. I honestly could care less if it were a convertible. I got into them because they're bitchin' cars, and probably a little bit due to Gran Turismo 2-3.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    I was in college and driving around in a 944S and a Volvo 740 Turbo, when a SERIOUSLY HOT classmate of mine, Sharon got a Miata from her fiancee's dad.

I gave her a hand for some classwork, and she asked how she could pay me. After my first request was denied , I asked if I could take her "new" Miata. The car was a '90 base red and this was 1997, so the car was a bit rough. She jumped into the car with me and we drove around Dade City in it. After that ride, I knew that at some point I would get a Miata...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    Started with verts? I wanted a classic, and a 63 falcon vert basically fell in my lap.

Started me on Miatae? How about what prompted me to buy my first one, as that's a much shorter answer.
    Was looking for a fun daily beater while finishing up on another project car. Ended up with a red 92...that a buddy now owns.
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Small White Car's Avatar
    Drives
    93 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    I repossessed handful in the early 90's and was hooked from the first one I ever drove, couldn't buy one until a friend of mine desperately needed to sell his off to make the house payment. Bought my second (and current daily) three years later, still have both in the driveway.
    The artist formerly known as 'lilRedRide

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I decided I needed something that had better fuel economy than my truck. Something that would still be fun, RWD, manual and relatively cheap. Something that would also be very reliable, easy to work on and has a good aftermarket. After thinking about it, and doing some research, nothing fit the bill like a Miata. It is without a doubt the best used car purchase I've ever made.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Benbrg's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG 91
    Thanks Given
    It fell into my lap.

I needed a first car. After 6 months of searching for s chassis nissans and 5.0 mustangs, nothing was worth my money. I became so exasperated with my search that I almost bought a buick just so I'd have something solid to drive for a while. Then I heard a family friend was selling his miata. My dad kept telling me it was british racing green which I found funny because it is a japanese car. We traveled by train to look at it. When I saw it drive up, I wasn't too impressed, the car was so different from what I was looking for. It's proportions and the convertible top were out of line with my original guidelines.

Then I took a ride in it.
    100% BRG 0% Primer

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    A friend let me drive his new white 90 and I thought it was a fun little car. Fast forward to 96 and I was shopping for a fun car. I was looking at a 914 that was nice but my mother told me, "Just buy a Miata." So... I bought a Miata. My mother is a smart lady

Idling - Listen to it purr... XxkidXx's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 crystal white
    Thanks Given
    i started working at a job that wasnt so close to my house so i needed a car i drove my moms van a for a couple months and it killed gas so i was looking for something more economic i saw a miata up for sale thinking to myself it was only going to be a temp car while i save more money for a new one (note this is my first car) I drove it once and it change my life forever haha jk i kept it because of how fun the car is.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Black 1999 NB
    Thanks Given
    The first Miata I ever drove was an NB 6 speed that belonged to a friend of my Aunt. I was into Honda's and had a hopped up 2000 Civic Si. To say the least I was underwhelmed by the power output. It was a stock NB so it dod not seem to handle any better then my Si on Tein SS coilovers. I drive it once then forgot about it. Flash forward 6 years and I have my 73 RX2. A friend bought a seriously beat 90 NA from another guy we raced with. The guy he bought it from raced it and was never competitive with it. Marcus put springs and Nitto NT01's on it and I repainted it. We took it out to an autocross out in Rapid City SD and both finished top 5 with it. It was fun beating up on the "faster" cars. We had a kid in a modded RSX ask us what the hell was done to the car because we were beating him so badly. That little 1.6 had the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever had the pleasure to drive. It would drop into any gear you wanted it to and just about any speed you were going. It was all down hill from there.

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    My dad and I bought a '97 STO for my mom, I ended up driving it a lot and doing all of the maintenance work. I loved how easy it was to work on and how much fun it was to drive in stock form, in a few ways it reminded me of the RX7 convertible I had. My car at the time was totaled by a negligent driver, so I decided to find a Miata for myself.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LOL's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Marina Green Mica M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    I saw a slammed yellow NA on the 605 in southern California in early 2006. The rest is history.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! NAautoxer's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    my wife wanted a car to autocross and take to track events. what better answer for a young, sexy lady than a miata? and thus, the legend was born.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! KAL's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    My cousin had one for one year and since it survived i bought mine.
    '9 3 B R G

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    Finally decided to act on a desire for a sportscar. Tested a Crossfire, Solstice, Mini cooper s, Eclipse, Rx-8, and looked at Z4, 350z(out of my price range). Sprinkled between these were a 95, 2002, and 2004 MSM Miatas. Ended up finding the 2006 which felt more solid (to me), still had a factory warranty, tilt steering wheel(for the wife) and was in my perfect color combination.
    Now that I've had one, I don't want anything else again. ever*.

* except an NA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast