Thread: Factory cruise control switch to toggle switch

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given

Factory cruise control switch to toggle switch

I'm trying to replace my factory cruise control switch with a simple toggle switch, which has two terminals on the back. I was assuming the back of the factory switch would be a simple on/off switch but that's not the case. Anyways I was wondering if there'd be any help out there with me doing this. I found a wiring diagram (located in 4(C-E 15), page 6 of the document) but I'm not too sure as to what wire I should be splicing the toggle into if this is even possible. Thanks in advance.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    You're looking at the Cruise Main switch on page 6. Grid C-15?

It has a light and a switch. It looks like you're interested in the red wire and black wire. Black is ground and red is the switch. It looks like all the switch does is pull ground. A regular SPST switch with red on one side and a ground wire on the other should work fine. Probably.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given
    Thanks! But the problem is that there's about 5 different wires. Two of which are to the light, so I don't care about them. However one goes to the "meter fuse" and the other goes to ground. I'm starting to just say fuggit though and go for just throwing a compass in there or something. I just hate the placement of the cruise switch,

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jnshk's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Chaste White w/ PEP
    Thanks Given
    I could have sworn I had replied in this thread, but apparently it was on an other forum.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional (or even amateur) electrical engineer

If I'm reading this diagram correctly, you need to connect the [BLK w/ YEL] (12v+) to the [YEL w/ BLK] (to cruise module) to each end of the switch. You may also need to connect the [BLK w/ YEL] (12v+) to the [RED] (also to cruise module), but I think that it needs to be done with a switching relay.

In other words:
    [BLK w/ YEL] --> Pin 30 on 5-pin relay
    [YEL w/ BLK] --> Pin 87 on 5-pin relay
    [RED] --> Pin 87a on 5-pin relay
    Fused 12v+IGN --> Pin 85 on 5-pin relay
    Pin1 on toggle switch --> Pin 86 on 5-pin relay
    Pin2 on toggle switch --> chassis ground

UPDATE - BETTER IDEA: And an alternate/simple method that I thought of while at work would be to use a 3-pin ON-ON toggle switch. Wire up the [BLK w/ YEL] to the center pin, [YEL w/ BLK] to the normally open pin, and [RED] to the normally closed pin. Much simpler and easier than a relay and it should provide the same function.

But... once again I am not an electrical engineer, so try this at your own risk.
    Active: 1991 Mazda Miata (B-Package), JRSC+MS3 [Daily/Project]
    Active: 1995 Mazda Miata (M-Edition) [Full Send Project]
    Hiatus: 1997 Mazda Miata (PEP) [Candidate for Lifted Miata?]
    Hiatus: 1958 Volvo 444 Sport w/ Ford 2.9L EFI and drivetrain