Thread: Power window swap on my 96

Idling - Listen to it purr... black roadster's Avatar
    Drives
    a Black Roadster
    Thanks Given

Power window swap on my 96

Have a 96 R-Pkg and missed the power windows I have in my 95 Popular Equipment Pkg car.

Some observations for those looking to do a conversion like me.

The manual window regulator and power window regulator mount in completely different set of holes in the door. When I went to install the power regulator one of those holes had a small plug in it so it wasn't obvious at first.

The wiring for the switch was there. The wiring for the motors was not. Apparently the manual window cars had a different wire loom that ran through the doors. It's the one with the rubber boots that passes through the door jam. You will need these to do the swap too or extend the wiring. The looms are then plugged into existing wiring that runs up to the door jam inside the car.

Here is where it gets "fun". I started on the drivers side. The door jam loom connects to plugs just behind the fuse box and tucked away in a cubbyhole. I had to loosen the fuse box under the dash, remove the kick panel and hood release handle and even then it was tough to access. After that was done I figured, well the passenger side will be easier. Nope! The blower motor was in the way. This required, removing the glove box, the glove box support bracket it was mounted to, the passenger airbag, kick panel and then the blower motor itself. Yes, you can get the blower motor out without removing the A/C evaporator box. Again the wiring is tucked away in a cubbyhole. All this for a 12" wiring extension! After all that, I now have power windows though.

Another note, the looms also contained the wiring for power mirrors as well. Good to know if I decide to add these as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to black roadster For This Useful Post:

ssstuckey (04-18-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Good info, thanks for sharing, got any photos from your install?