Thread: 2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata and Alfa Romeo Spyder -Road&Track's First Look

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata and Alfa Romeo Spyder -Road&Track's First Look

2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata and Alfa Romeo Spyder - First Look

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...a-romeo-spyder

Mama Miata! Mazda and Alfa team up to build roadsters.
    By Nick Kurczewski / Photos by Theophilus Chin/Chris Doane Automotive
    May 30, 2012

artist illustrations 1 ND.jpg
    2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Mazda and Alfa Romeo are joining forces to build the next-generation MX-5 Miata and Spyder. The 2-passenger roadsters will place a priority on keeping things simple, and small. As we already noted a couple months ago, Mazda’s engineers are working hard to trim weight (reportedly as much as 200 lb.) from the 2014 Miata. This could be aided by the Japanese automaker’s growing lineup of SkyActiv models, which offer improved performance and fuel economy thanks to their significantly lighter chassis and powertrains. That same engineering approach will certainly be applied here.

artist illustrations 2 ND.jpg
    2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Unique Personalities

For the moment, Mazda and Alfa are keeping the specifics of the arrangement under wraps. In a previous statement, the two companies said they would "develop two differentiated, distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific lightweight roadsters featuring rear-wheel drive. The Mazda and Alfa Romeo variants will each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand." Judging from these artist illustrations – not official images, mind you, but a pretty good guess – it appears each car has its own unique shape and personality.

artist illustrations 1 Alfa.jpg
    2014 Alfa Romeo Spyder

The next Miata should sport much more pronounced fenders and a blunter front and rear end. Horizontal bars and a large Mazda emblem dominate the bigger grille. Those over 6-foot have always struggled to squeeze into the Miata cabin, so expect Mazda to focus some attention on boosting interior room and comfort. Considering the car's ongoing weight loss regime, it’s possible Mazda could eliminate heavy and complex features like the current model’s optional retractable folding hardtop.

artist illustrations 2 Alfa.jpg
    2014 Alfa Romeo Spyder

In comparison, the Alfa Romeo Spyder has a sleeker and more expensive look to it – no surprise, since the Alfa is likely to cost more. There is definitely a hint of the classic “boat-tail” Spyder that Dustin Hoffman drove in the film “The Graduate.” Unlike the wide-eyed Miata, the Alfa could feature LED-intensive lighting at the front and rear. Ornamentation and superfluous details appear to be kept to an absolute minimum on this Alfa. A character line runs from the front fender to the door handles, and that’s pretty much it.

These are pint-sized roadsters, so the engine lineup is guaranteed to consist of rev-happy 4-cylinders. We’ve speculated that Mazda could opt for a normally aspirated 1.8-liter, or turbocharged 1.3 or 1.5-liter engine. Personally, the latter options sound the most intriguing – come on, Mazda! Alfa can easily dip into the Fiat parts-bin and install the highly entertaining and turbocharged 1.4-liter MultiAir 4-cylinder into the engine bay for the Spyder. A choice of 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic equipped with paddle-shifters should be available in either vehicle. Expect Mazda to try to peg pricing as close as possible to the current Miata’s base price of approximately $25,000. We’d expect the Alfa price tag to fall closer to $30,000.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...a-romeo-spyder
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

Idling - Listen to it purr... Barrym's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I think the Alfa looks sleeker and more artistic. Look at some of the best looking sports cars. Porche, Jaguar, Audi TT. Smooth not a lot of extra lines. I dont like the current NC smiling grille and I dont like the outrigger looking fender flares that to me looks like an after thought. The rear on the picture looks like it got into some kind of an accident. Why does the Miata have all those extra lines. It seems that a sleeker body with less superfluous lines would be cheaper to build and look better at the same time.

I think that the Miata/Mazda design department are a bunch of Anime cartoonists trying to recapture the Speed Racer days.
    I vote for something smooth. sexy, not alot of busy lines and btw put some more power under the hood.
    Barrym

Idling - Listen to it purr... terranwelder's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Im sad both are fugly. What ever happened to the clean look of the Na and NB.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Johnnie's Avatar
    Drives
    06 NC
    Thanks Given
    Tell them I hate it.
    John Evans
    >>>Li'l Stinker<<< https://www.facebook.com/litllestinker
    06 MX-5 Miata 6MT-- Quaife LSD >>>Li'l Stinker on MR.net<<<

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    They look like shyte~! I'm hoping and praying I'll like the ND... please come through Mazda!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! thedguy's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by from the article
    Judging from these artist illustrations – not official images, mind you, but a pretty good guess
    The pictures are nothing more than proof of why R&T is closing it's doors. There is no news so they are just making shit up.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I like the alfa.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1994 White
    Thanks Given
    The Miata looks like a Chrysler

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! drv2fst's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Alpha looks nice, Miata looks like it was donked and then kicked up the ass.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death - Hunter S Thompson

Drives
    92 classic red miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bankjob View Post
    The Miata looks like a Chrysler
    Because it pretty much is lol.

Drives
    White 99
    Thanks Given
    The Alfa is definitely the better looking of the two. The Miata looks like a crossfire that was beat with an ugly stick!
    99 NB
    05 Spec V

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by thedguy View Post
    The pictures are nothing more than proof of why R&T is closing it's doors. There is no news so they are just making shit up.
    This.

You guys have nothing to worry about until Mazda actually releases their own sketches and/or concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Drives
    92 classic red miata
    Thanks Given
    Yeah im not believing any of these concepts until I see the real thing.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! BlueMotorsport's Avatar
    Drives
    92 NA / 04 is300 / 14 sportage turbo
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by terranwelder View Post
    Im sad both are fugly. What ever happened to the clean look of the Na and NB.
    this those are both beyond ugly and the mazda rear looks like a mustang rear squeezed to fit the miata -___- so ugly ugh

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Road&Track, you will not be missed.