Thread: Driving a lowered Miata in torrential rain storms

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch JonnyD's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Emerald Mica
    Thanks Given

Driving a lowered Miata in torrential rain storms

I have had my Miata for a few months which have been very dry until the past couple of days. Yesterday driving home from work the rain was coming down in buckets and the main roads were filling up with water, it didn't get too deep but it was pretty high. I was driving slow because my wipers on fast mode were still pretty slow, so I need to figure out.

But I was wondering what do you guys who have slammed Miatas do in the rain when the roads start to fill up with water? I am planning on dropping my car so just wondering what you guys do?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! diabeetus's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red CE (Cowabunga Edition)
    Thanks Given
    i think i would have to call into work that day if you couldnt find another way to get around. but thats just me
    Classic RED 90'
    cowabunga dudes!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    I put my right foot down and countersteer.

If its really bad with horrible visibility I'll slow down and turn the four ways on but otherwise I find the Miata does fairly well in rain. Aside from the windows fogging up really badly.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    99 Emerald Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by psulja View Post
    I put my right foot down and countersteer.

If its really bad with horrible visibility I'll slow down and turn the four ways on but otherwise I find the Miata does fairly well in rain. Aside from the windows fogging up really badly.
    Yeah I can imagine for those guys without a/c it must be pretty bad at least I do have that.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    95 white R-package
    Thanks Given
    I'm not super slammed but I am pretty low and my car does just fine in the rain, just really slippery in the corners so you just have to be ready for it.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin a View Post
    I'm not super slammed but I am pretty low and my car does just fine in the rain, just really slippery in the corners so you just have to be ready for it.
    I've lived in Ventura, but I'm a Tampa native. What we call "rain" in FL, in most places would be called "storm"! ;)
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Yep. I had to reacclimate to the rains of the south after living in socal for a while.

My Miata isn't slammed, but I am more conscious of standing water while driving it. These cars are so light and square, they can hydroplane rather quickly. I wouldn't recommend a tire wider than 205 if you see a lot of rain. Actually, I would stick to a 195 for a better contact patch in the wet and better agility to "feel" what the front is doing in those situations.

Drives
    99 Emerald Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I've lived in Ventura, but I'm a Tampa native. What we call "rain" in FL, in most places would be called "storm"! ;)
    Yeah FL rain is pretty crazy that's why I am asking.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Echonova's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '94 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD View Post
    But I was wondering what do you guys who have slammed Miatas do in the rain when the roads start to fill up with water? I am planning on dropping my car so just wondering what you guys do?
    I can't say what other guys do. But my secret is...

Take the truck

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Hitting standing water while driving quickly is scary. Just have a firm grip of the wheel and throw rain-x on your windshield.

It's funny though, when it's pouring all these lifted trucks are driving so slow and i just zoom right past them hahah.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Opening the window a bit helps with air circulation and keeps them from fogging.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    As soon as I read this title I knew this HAD to be a Florida thread

I used to have a Toyota Tundra which ROCKED in the rain, but then gas prices got too high, so my daily driver is a MINI Cooper, so now I avoid all the roads that normally flood, whereas I used to hunt for them in my truck.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    .......I'm a Tampa native. What we call "rain" in FL, in most places would be called "storm"! ;)

Florida rain is like none other, its fast and furious, and the downpour is more like monsoon season, rain is hitting you sideways and the roads flood FAST because you can get 5 to 10 inches of rain in just 30 minutes, more in low areas (pretty much Florida is low everywhere though)

If you live near any of the lakes here in Florida is common to see catfish swimming in the road too, hahahha

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    I would still drive through standing water that was deeper than my ride height. You just have to be extremely careful, brake very early and keep both hands on the wheel. But most of the time I would rather just take my Subie for safety's sake.

Road In by bedheadben, on Flickr
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Wow, that is some crazy rain there, Randy! Glad we don't really have any of that here, other than yesterday when we had a huge storm.. A lot of the roads were flooded and the parking lot at work got flooded. Inside on the plant floor one of the drain pipes from the room started leaking where it goes into the ground so part of the plant floor got flooded as well. Was a pretty crazy storm; haven't had one like that in a while.

+1 on the cracked window. Whenever it's raining I need the window cracked open, rear defrost on, and windshield defrost on at least 3. And if the water is pooling up of course pay more attention, and don't brake when you start hydroplaning. I once had a really scary incident where I started hydroplaning just before a turn so I ended up going straight into the opposite lane, halfway into oncoming traffic. Thankfully everyone was going pretty slowly and there was enough room to get the car completely back into my own lane before getting into an accident. Worst thing I see people doing when they start hydroplaning is panic and try to brake or steer out of it rather than just let off the throttle and coast out of it.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain