Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all fortune auto coilover owners!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given

Calling all fortune auto coilover owners!

For those of you with the FA'S from rspeed, PLEASE post some pics of your car. What are the adjustment ranges of the suspension?

How low can they go?

Can they get 12.5f 12.75r? By design it looks like they'd run out of threads to drop the car.

I've contacted rspeed directly and they don't seem to eager to help out someone willing to drop $1200 on their webstore...

Fa sent me a picture of their "functional" height, lowered all the way down, and it didn't seem too much lower than my car now, and my car is currently 12.75f/13r. Id like my car to be about 12.25 front, 12.75rear...

Anybody slammed with FA'S? Or mod slammed? Just so show me how low they can go?
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iamdallas's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
    For those of you with the FA'S from rspeed, PLEASE post some pics of your car. What are the adjustment ranges of the suspension?

How low can they go?

Can they get 12.5f 12.75r? By design it looks like they'd run out of threads to drop the car.

I've contacted rspeed directly and they don't seem to eager to help out someone willing to drop $1200 on their webstore...

Fa sent me a picture of their "functional" height, lowered all the way down, and it didn't seem too much lower than my car now, and my car is currently 12.75f/13r. Id like my car to be about 12.25 front, 12.75rear...

Anybody slammed with FA'S? Or mod slammed? Just so show me how low they can go?
    If you just want to be low, get some Stance coilovers.

Just call rspeed if you need help. Their customer service is awesome, but I can tell you now that FA's weren't designed to be slammed. Stance Coilovers are what you want.

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    I don't want to be slammed, I want a low functional height. But from the pics fortune sent me, were looking at an OEM type ride height from their "functional" coilovers.

My car still has wheel gap lol, and will continue to do so.

Thanks Given
    I don't want to be slammed, I want a low functional height. But from the pics fortune sent me, were looking at an OEM type ride height from their "functional" coilovers.

My car still has wheel gap lol, and will continue to do so.
    I don't own them, but I know a few guys who do at that ride height. Neither have had issues and the cars stay functional at that height.

I'm thinking I'm going to get these coilovers and mate them with ISC top hats for additional shock travel at a low ride height. Either that or Tein Advance.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Subscribed for another xjdesertfox coilover thread!
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    Subscribed for another xjdesertfox coilover thread!
    Lmao, yea...I don't know why its so hard for me to choose, and why I feel like I can't get enough info to choose.

I was seriously so ready to order FA's until I saw a picture they sent me of a car with them on.

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    FA sent me this picture, along with an explanation...

FA now makes two different length coilovers, its not the spring length that is different. They make a "functional" length coilover, and a "Low" length.

This is a picture of the "functional" length coilover, maxed out at the lowest possible position.

They also claim the "low" coilovers drop an additional 30mm. And the height adjustment range of the coilovers is 3/4 of an inch in the rear MAXIMUM.

So if I were to get FA's, Im not sure If i'd get the low coilovers, and jack them up, or the "functional" coilovers and drop them to the max...

...or get a different coilover which can make full height adjustments...

Thanks Given
    For anyone still interested in the direction this thread went. I pretty much decided on the new GEN 4 FA500's that came out. I was at an utter standstill between stance GR+, tein flex, and the FA500's.

Why I'm picking the FA500s? Decent performance, dyno matched sets with included dyno of YOUR shocks, assembled in the USA, serviceable in the USA, and best of all... 5 year warranty.

Fortune auto now also offers the coilovers with tall or low springs. Im still trying to get info on what heights each spring achieves, but so far it was described to me as "low springs go SUPER low" "tall springs are functional"
    Just saw this.

I'm interested to find out more as well.

Make an account at mx5atlanta.com and search for the fa's. Rspeed is local so quite a few people have them and can give feedback.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Lmao, yea...I don't know why its so hard for me to choose, and why I feel like I can't get enough info to choose.
    Because you're going to be spending a lot of your hard earned money on these coilovers and you should be sure you're making the right decision!
    FA now makes two different length coilovers, its not the spring length that is different. They make a "functional" length coilover, and a "Low" length.
    This is a picture of the "functional" length coilover, maxed out at the lowest possible position.
    They also claim the "low" coilovers drop an additional 30mm. And the height adjustment range of the coilovers is 3/4 of an inch in the rear MAXIMUM.
    So if I were to get FA's, Im not sure If i'd get the low coilovers, and jack them up, or the "functional" coilovers and drop them to the max...
    ...or get a different coilover which can make full height adjustments...

I'm going to start off by saying I've heard great things about FA's customer service and coilovers. The only bad thing I read about them was one of them making a clunking noise, but they returned it for a working one.

So if I'm understanding you right, these coilovers only have 3/4" of height adjustment in the rear? If that's true then the "low" coilovers would be just over an inch lower than the "functional" coilovers at their lowest height and at their tallest height they wouldn't even be as high as the "functional" coilovers at their lowest adjustment.

I don't know about you but if that's no where near enough adjustment for me and I don't see a good reason for it. Heck, even Racelands have more height adjustment than that, and they don't have adjustable bodies.

In for more info!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    Because you're going to be spending a lot of your hard earned money on these coilovers and you should be sure you're making the right decision!

I'm going to start off by saying I've heard great things about FA's customer service and coilovers. The only bad thing I read about them was one of them making a clunking noise, but they returned it for a working one.

So if I'm understanding you right, these coilovers only have 3/4" of height adjustment in the rear? If that's true then the "low" coilovers would be just over an inch lower than the "functional" coilovers at their lowest height and at their tallest height they wouldn't even be as high as the "functional" coilovers at their lowest adjustment.

I don't know about you but if that's no where near enough adjustment for me and I don't see a good reason for it. Heck, even Racelands have more height adjustment than that, and they don't have adjustable bodies.

In for more info!
    Exactly. So by his explanation, The height range is between 30mm lower, and 8mm lower than that picture in the rear. Thats absurd. And if I want the "functional" coilovers, Im stuck between that picture, and 3/4" higher.

Im starting to wonder what size tires is on that car in the picture.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Exactly. So by his explanation, The height range is between 30mm lower, and 8mm lower than that picture in the rear. Thats absurd. And if I want the "functional" coilovers, Im stuck between that picture, and 3/4" higher.

Im starting to wonder what size tires is on that car in the picture.
    Most likely they are 185/60 or possibly 195/60. I would call to verify that there is only 3/4" of height adjustment in the rear because I can't think of what they could possibly do to the coilover to make it have such little adjustment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Wow, it really does look like just 3/4" in the rear, atleast 3/4 available adjustment left going down in this pic. By this picture it looks like I could easily adjust a "low" coilover higher though....

Theres also another person claiming hes at 12"f and 11.75"R, but hes on the softest spring rates available...

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Wow, it really does look like just 3/4" in the rear...

Theres also another person claiming hes at 12"f and 11.75"R, but hes on the softest spring rates available...
    That spring is huge! Look at how much of the shock body is taken up by the length of the spring. I bet if you got a shorter aftermarket spring (that still was long enough to not bind) it would completely solve that issue.

And he probably added a ton of preload to that spring to get it to go that low.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Ugh, but shorter after market springs = More money = fortune auto's value for price takes a shit.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    atleast 3/4 available adjustment left going down in this pic. By this picture it looks like I could easily adjust a "low" coilover higher though....
    I think I started posting before you made that edit. It appears that the coilover is at full droop in that picture. So actually by adjusting the coilover "up" you would just be adding preload to the spring since it is already being held captive at full droop.
    Ugh, but shorter after market springs = More money = fortune auto's value for price takes a shit.
    Exactly, and I don't know why they would come with such a long spring stock. If I wanted to build a coilover that could go very high and very low I would just throw helper springs on there. The slammed guys could pull them out without affecting the spring rate and the raised up guys could keep them in to get extra height.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast