Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.6 Turbo NA Drift Build

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! urban's Avatar
    Thanks Given

1.6 Turbo NA Drift Build

hey guys,
    this build thread was done after i was initially done with the car . As alot of us ,im sure, i wanted to take detailed pics along the way, but when i got started , i put my head down , and just went at it. Between work , and kids , and just sneaking over to get some time on it ,the detailed documentation went out the window. So the car started out from this point , turbo'd, drivetrain done, interior stripped , with seats and harness'. many of the large mods already done. but this car was the car i learned on, so some things needed to be fixed. this time im doing it right. i'll pick up from where im at today, and try to rewrite some of the things i did that are worth reading about.
    all work is done by myself , alot of it at or with the help of Roadster Tuner. if i didnt do it , he did.

in May 2011 i rebuilt my NA .
    this car was first purchased in 2000. i went through 4 more through out the years including my wifes 94R and my 99m NB.
    this car sat in my driveway for 4 years while i played with my NB . i only took it around the block and to a drift event once a year to keep it alive.

i learned how to drive in this car,and build miatas . at one point autocrossing/tracking/ drifting it once a month as well as dd'ing.
    so ive been driving alot in those years.i ve tried to drift a few times with various miatas, its was always a struggle. this car has answered all my drift dreams. im in love again.

it started bone stock. before the rebuild it was already built up , but with out a direction. after my NB i decided it was the perfect drift car , mainly due to the 2way Tomei LSD that i initially purchased for the NB. so i picked up the Knuckles. when i sold the NB , i used the funds to refresh the car.
    heres a parts list
    1.6l auto motor, i refreshed every gasket ,seal ,o ring, water pump,tb , bearing ,etc evrything but the head gasket.
    roadster tuner motor mounts.
    it has a Link ecu.i have an AEM WB autotuning it off fm's old ass base map. it hits 15psi in 2nd gear.
    og FM manifold w/ 2560r,fresh iwg ,begi dp,8 yr old ebay ic. old pipes and clamps.
    2.5" exhaust , no cat.
    440 injectors ,obx df fuel rail
    RB flywheel,FM Clutch
    NB 5 spd ,new gasket /seal kit.
    new clutch slave , and straight hose.
    new drive shaft.
    im using my 4.3 Tomei 2way that was in my NB. love this thing.
    ES diff bushings ; key item
    ES suspension bushings on all control arms.
    rebuilt RB end links for my old ass RB sways. this was the first item i ever bought for the car.
    Fresh 8/6 Stance w/ the og front deep upper mounts. Max low on these.
    extended oem rucas.
    and chelsea's knuckels up front. max angle .
    stock brakes with track pads f/r Carbotech
    and 6 Rota Grid V in 15x8 +0 . tires are undecided , but RT615's in front 205/50. 195/50 in rear of whatever i find.

after the first day i took it out, i was so happy with it i called Moti at Blackbird fabworx and had him build me a roll bar with door bars.at this point i had it set in my mind that i could at least compete Top drift or maybe some proam. so he built me a 10 point back half of a cage.its badass ,but not cheap.
    ok so i drove the car one day,i already think im a D1 driver, thats how impressed i am, and now im broke ,but i have this sick ass cage.

thats when i realized how committed i was and ive been getting out ever since.
    honestly though, i need as much seat time as i can get,cause this car is easy to drive. as of now im done building the car. its only driving and maintenance.
    so i think there are a few key parts to making a car slide right.
    of course a diff, power ,stiffer suspension,tire choice/size.
    the knuckles . absolutely a must . number one item.
    diff mounts. these keep the wheels flat.motor mounts help
    clutch.
    im still working on aligments, but i know i can dial it in with that alone , the rest of the parts are working.
    but the knuckles make the biggest difference.

Thanks Given
    a Summary of the summer of 2011 for me.
    including AllStar bash , Adams Drift series, TopGun, and al little Irwindale. since June 2011, to Nov. ive taking the car to about 15 track days. driving the car to and from events.
    i love the 1.6l chassis , and motor , for its reliability , and ease of maintenance, cost to run. this car is Beast , and it shows on track by the abuse it takes.

theres a bunch more , but.

Thanks Given
    so as of this Xmas break .
    i recently added power steering back . after 8 years of having my original rack depowered the dirty way ,by looping the lines. i add the pump and lines back , and it works awesome. time to relearn the car again.
    so i took it up to the local touge, :3, GMR.
    i played with the alignment also ,adding in caster , which i took out for the depowered rack. its also on new front tires at this time. so im up there to test its handling ,and get a feel for the PS.
    car corners like crazy, due to the mad amount of camber in front.
    something happened though , and now it wont go into gear . i think its the tranny. so this xmas break im dropping the tranny to find.

this is an FM clutch plate stage 2 that i bought used. it was still fresh when i installed it . but i guess the abuse i put on it ,overcame it when i was trying to put power down easy?
    i replaced it with a cheapy Gripforce 6puck sprung. i hope it last , ive read the stories. but im not trying to spend alot of money . i just want to burn rubber. lol

i also began an attempt to paint the car . i hate this stuff , and im mashing body panels like crazy. the fake GV front was imploded by a rock in the mountain.the fenders are completely mangled.
    so i picked up an oem front / fake GV lip , and two new fenders to start over. i will not document this , cause it will not be pretty. im hoping just to look decent from far . it is my drift car , so its percfectly legal .
    heres a pic of a test corner .

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch miatasaint's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Holy crap dude. Badass!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ChrisJuliano's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    LOVE UR CAR! When you went over the curb did that do any damage? SO close to destroying your bumper!

Thanks Given
    Thanks guys.
    the bumper survived that pic, but the chances of me going off track are high ,so it eventually lost.
    i scrape my subframes,framerails,and oil pan alot. no damage yet. im probably going to raise the motor after seeing the oil pan the weekend.
    this car is brutal. Sone of you guys would shit knowing the life of a drift car.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power George's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 Evolution orange NB6
    Thanks Given
    nice! Loved your NB

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Boris's Avatar
    Drives
    92 Smurf
    Thanks Given
    This is great.
    A 1.6L little monster.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Blackbird's Avatar
    Drives
    2002 White / Orange lightweight Miata
    Thanks Given
    This car is sweet.
    I remember it in it's original red from like 10 years ago or something like that
    Lenny did a great job putting the thing together and I'm glad to have been a part of this build.

Let me know when you're going out next time, I want to catch a ride with you!

Moti

Thanks Given
    Yeah i wanted to do sow with you guys . im actually looking at the next sv event . But not sure.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Blackbird's Avatar
    Drives
    2002 White / Orange lightweight Miata
    Thanks Given
    That'll be awesome!
    I'm hoping to be there for both days, but even one day will be nice.

Moti

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Caoboy's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given
    Too sick.

Idling - Listen to it purr... zoom's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I love a good purpose built drift build!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! XCLR8TN's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG Miata, 1991 White Miata
    Thanks Given

I LOVE THE PURPLE!!!!!!!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Itsaparty's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    hey leonard, always wanted to ask you... do you still get good forward bite with your amount of power running 195s?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast