4/17/10

Well well well....

Only 3 things left:

1) Oil/Coolant
2) figure out what to do about the headlights (don't seem to fit with the IC piping)
3) Prime and start.

4/18/10

It doesn't look low from the side because i actually run 40 series tires, smaller than i should, so until you go to try to get a jack under it, you don't realize just how low it is.

I'll get pictures once it backs out of the garage under it's own power.

Which brings me to today's development.

1) figured out the headlight issue. Just had to move the intercooler down about 2 inches. Easy Peasy.

And she started today. Motor sounds great, no major leaks. (Minor leak from the cooling plate behind the oil filter.) Fan works, all lights work, no exhaust leaks, and she spools like a banshee even free-revving in neutral.

Problem:

The idle is surging between 1500 and 1800rpms, cycling about once every 1.5 seconds. The car is pulling normal vaccuum levels, sitting at about -19, fluctuating very slightly everytime the idle cycles. It did NOT do this before it was torn down. Pulling the VAF plug results in a rock solid 1500rpm idle, and of course a check engine light. (Something else that it wouldn't do before. Before, it wouldn't even idle without the VAF plugged in.)

Ideas? Am i safe to assume that it's probably NOT a vaccuum leak, and maybe just a borked sensor somewhere? Where should i start looking?

4/19/10

Put fresh gas in, burped the cooling system. Idle issue fixed. Low coolant was causing it.

Drove it. Impressions:

1) Need to figure out the boost issue. Won't stop climbing. I saw 20psi with no cuts. Fast, but don't want to go that high.
2) Runs REALLY damn smooth. Huge improvement over the old setup.
3) My alignment is terrible. Lack thereof, i mean. Hasn't been aligned since the new setup. I've got bad toe out in both front wheels, VERY unstable.
4) I think my radiator is trashed. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

But seriously, it's fast. I didn't go above half throttle because of the boost issue, but it's still ripping the tires off in 2nd gear.