View Poll Results: What front bumper should I get next?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • AutoExe

5 45.45%
  • HKS Kansai (might be discontinued)

1 9.09%
  • NOPRO GT Spec Type N

1 9.09%
  • Bomex....again

1 9.09%
  • OEM w/ a lip of some sort.

3 27.27%
  • None, horrible choices.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Fiona : NB Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power pacman 99's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Got myself a new toy.

Pioneer TS-WH500A

For a while now I've been wanting to improve my car's audio by adding a subwoofer. I really didn't like the options available for our cars. Ebay custom 10" trunk subwoofer enclosure that takes away my tool storage space. Passenger foot well enclosure by Track Dog Racing that eliminates some leg space. The only one I liked was the parcel shelf with small "free air" subwoofers but reviews were mixed at best.

That's when I found out about compact/slim sealed subwoofers. They are perfect for our little roadsters and can be placed almost anywhere without using so much space.

The Pioneer TS-WH500A was the thinnest subwoofer out there with a 2 3/8" profile. Overall dimensions are : 13-3/8"W x 9-7/8"D x 2-3/8"H. It has a built-in amplifier (50 watts nominal, 150 watts peak) and uses two 7"x4" polypropylene woofers with rubber surround. It also has this HVT technology which sounds pretty fancy.

On the back of the unit you can see the other woofer and the ports for the wire harness and remote control wire. Looks easy already!

Here's the rest of parts included in the box.

1) Wiring harness (Power with in-line fuse holder/ Ground/ Remote turn-on with in-line fuse holder/ RCA input)
    2) Wired remote control with attached 18' cable
    3) Velcro Strip

These were the only parts needed for my install. I would be using RCA cables to connect to the head unit. The RCA to speaker wire adapter won't be needed. (shown on the right)

3 feet of RCA speaker cables was purchased at Radio Shack. I later found out I couldn't use the right angle adapters .... head unit shape wouldn't allow it :/

A look at the back of my Pionner head unit looking for my RCA hookup for my subwoofer. The bottom row was it.

If you haven't guessed already..... this was the spot I choose for the subwoofer. It fits like a glove!!

I added leftover Dyna Mat material to the chassis facing the subwoofer to improve the resonance. I end up using one of the bolts for the parcel shelf as my ground source. Didn't secure the subwoofer with the supplied mounting bracket and screws. It's fits perfectly with the seat pulled all the way back!

Next up is wiring. Here I'm connecting my male Pioneer Blue/White wire connector to the OEM radio Blue/Black wire via a T-tap. The T-tap was already there waiting for me! I guess someone else (or me) had used it before for something else. These wires are for the +12v switch when the ignition is turned on. That way the subwoofer doesn't stay on constantly and drain your battery. The Pioneer Blue/White wire also includes a female butt connector but that one is optional. Can be connected to a power antenna but my NB doesn't have one.

Now for the constant +12v power I did have to do a little custom wiring. 5 inches of 18g wire, inline wire tap, female butt connector is all that was needed.

The constant +12v for the OEM radio is the Blue/Red wire. The yellow Pioneer wire needs to tap into that wire. Another option is the +12v yellow cigarette wire. I decided to tap in to the Metra wiring harness which was labeled and colored yellow too.

Constant +12v connected!

The wiring harness is super long, so I loomed it up neatly and tucked it underneath the console. I placed the inline fuses specifically in that area so that they are easy to reach by simply pulling out my JDM cubby.

Threaded the RCA cables and the 3ft length was perfect.

Zip tied everything and used a little velcro to press down the wires as much as possible in the area in which it will cross paths with my shorty console. Almost forgot about my remote control for the subwoofer at this point. I decided to run the wiring harness inbetween the OEM carpet and my tunnel quilted cover. I figured rattles would be reduced this way.

The excess wire for the remote control was left behind the seat. I made sure I left enough slack on it so it can be pulled out.

I used the glove box as my mounting point for my remote control. The self adhesive velcro strips were used here. I figured the passenger would need it more than I would...haha!

I'm really happy with the results! I'm surprised how much powerful bass response I'm getting out of such a small unit. The best part is the there is almost no seat travel lost in the passenger seat! I think you only lose one click on the recline but that's about it!

Sorry for no video. Usually phones can't record good audio anyways.

I highly recommend it for any hardtop Miata.

Sneak peek of whats next....

Last edited by pacman 99; 06-08-2016 at 11:20 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacman 99 For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (06-08-2016),Martin (06-08-2016)