Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How-To: 99-00 Bi-Xenon Headlight Retrofit

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    Yeah, it's relatively easy to get to the bolt except for the wire loom clamp. That thing is a PITA. Once you have that free it's two nuts and you can remove the fuse box to access the 12+ bolt.

I've checked my diagrams and I think all I need to do to get the dash indicator working is put a jumper across the driver's side headlight connector. I need to see if I have the correct size StaKons, if not I'll try to get that done tomorrow and report back.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 01-06-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    It took me a little while to get to this (thank a bad cold), but over the past two days I've messed around a bit with trying to get my high beam indicator working. Originally I tried just putting a jumper wire in on the driver's side connector but got nothing (because I forgot I had blown the fuse while installing the HIDs). Tried finding some replacements but apparently 15 amp mini fuses are in high demand. Finally got some and had a brain flash to test my theory using one of the stock headlight bulbs. Got everything set up, the bulb lit up but there is still no indicator on the dash. Time to dive back into my wiring diagrams...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RetroModern's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 NC3 GT
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by phrenetiK View Post
    I sent mx-p5 the old headlights back so I'm not sure where to source a boot now...but looks like i need one..

you can buy this from the retrofit source: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=4649

On a side note, i also did this with the Minimoto D2s and wasnt too happy with how far back they sit. a lot of the lower part of the beam would reflect off the front chrome shroud. If anyone else decides to do this with these projectors, i suggest they find a way to shim the projectors closer to the lens to mitigate this effect.

i changed it out for the s2K setup instead:
    Last edited by RetroModern; 01-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken p View Post
    On a side note, i also did this with the Minimoto D2s and wasnt too happy with how far back they sit. a lot of the lower part of the beam would reflect off the front chrome shroud. If anyone else decides to do this with these projectors, i suggest they find a way to shim the projectors closer to the lens to mitigate this effect.
    That's because the D2S is roughly 1/2" shorter than the Mini H1, which makes a significant difference. I haven't seen that issue with the MH1s.

S2K setup looks interesting, post a how-to for it, options are good.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RetroModern's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 NC3 GT
    Thanks Given
    ahh i didnt know that. however, i dont think half an inch longer is going to solve the reflecting problem since it had to be shimmed forward at least another 2" or so to clear the shroud.
    sure, next time i do another set, ill take more pics. this time i just wanted to get it done so i didnt take too many.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Good writeup and to actually see it in person. This is something I'm going to try to get done shortly
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Silver 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I just started trying to do this on a spare set of headlights with the same parts, and when I put the projectors in the shroud is touching the bottom. Do I have to sand/cut the bottom down to get it to not be sitting on it there or is it just not a big deal?

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    Nope, that's fine and normal. They should be just resting on the stock reflector, so not a lot of pressure.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Silver 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Awesome, I just left them that way. Everything is all done now, I'm insanely happy with the results. Just need to get rid of my stupid DRL's turning them on all the time lol.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! richterat83's Avatar
    Drives
    96 C with Flyin Miata Turbo II
    Thanks Given
    Just an FYI, I replaced the missing covers, I didn't realize he sent them back

As to his shrouds, he wanted the graphite shrouds which do not have screw mounting holes
    Looking for an NA trailer hitch, let me know if you've got one. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12