Thread: Engine woes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    since it is your DD, you best bet is building another engine from a good core. Read up, plan, make ATTAINABLE goals, research some more, WRITE out notes, save bookmarks. Then start by getting the core. Don't go crazy. When the core is done, swap it in, part out your old motor or sell it to recoup *some* of your money.

All of the info is easy to find. Most people don't do this, they build a motor on a builder's advice. Most often that builder isn't familiar with the BP and the end result is something less than desirable. The BP has been around for 20 years, still found in some Kias, I believe. Modifying the early versions can seem like a good solution, but it you take the Honda/BMW approach, you can find out what parts from different versions bolt up. save money, add improvements, etc.

I was surprised when I started researching how wrong my first build plan was. Stuff like forged pistons, titanium springs, etc. for my intentions were completely wrong. I am still researching, but my broad strokes are becoming finer and finer.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 12-31-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: edited my crappy cellphone posting