Thread: Phenolic Spacer

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! brontosaurus's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given

Phenolic Spacer

There are a couple of these for sale here and there for our engines. It's a relatively cheap "upgrade" in theory, but is it worthwhile? Everything in front of the radiator seems like it will heatsoak eventually. Anyone have any practical experience with these?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    have a photo of what you are talking about?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    It like a wooden spacer that goes in between the intake manifold and the engine so the heat doesn't transfer to the intake. Some say you can drive a car around for a hour and still touch the intake and it will be cool to the touch, not hot. They started making them out of wood since it fairly cheap and was a major improvement on carburetor cars. The fuel in the bowls doesn't get hot and it made a carburetor car run more consistent. I not sure if it would make a major different but I assume the air temp will be lower and the Miata would make a little bit of extra power. They didn't really take off. It was just a spacer in the beginning. It was aluminum to raise the carburetor up. Soon after they where made in wood and plastic versions. Wood was better to own since it would last longer and it was also better in blocking heat transfer so it ended up being something to block heat to the intake or carburetor. Some people seen it as a way to lower air temps since the lower the temp is, the more power a engine makes. It was so popular with drag racing that NHRA teams started using them just so they could gain that tenth of a second. It was that big and just about everyone was looking to get one. My father and I sold them at your speed shop a few years ago before we closed the business in 2010. In theory they work pretty good. I think it would be a nice addition to the motor but placement of the intake further away would be an issue then with our cars. I also never seen one for our motors.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    949racing.com sells em for around 50 bucks plus shipping.

Hondata makes them as well as some other companies. Would really help with air intake temperatures...

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    U mean this?

http://949racing.com/Hondata-Intake-gasket-Miata.aspx

I always thought it was just a gasket. I always overlooked it. Cool, now I know when I pull the head.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    A friend in the local club has one on his NB. Holy crap, are these things awesome! He turned on the car and we began to talk. Half an hour later (ya we talk that long) I put my hand on the intake manifold and it was cold. It was so amazing!
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Soledad's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Silverstone, '08 'Niseko' Icy Blue Metallic
    Thanks Given
    Seriously? I've been kicking around the idea of getting one and installing it with my freshly powdercoated manifold. I'd like to hear a few more impressions of it before I pull the trigger.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Do some research on "resident time" that the air charge spends in the cylinder. I'm not convinced the spacer would do anything good. Much like insulating the crosspipe on an intake... air just doesn't stay in there long enough for the chamber walls to really heat it. It's being heated by the engine itself and then it gets drawn into the filter.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ciotti's Avatar
    Drives
    99' STR build
    Thanks Given
    Beware...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...henolic+spacer

There are many more threads over there, do a quick search and you'll find them.
    @CiottiMonkey on the Instagram
    www.Facebook.com/CiottiIndustries
    1999 STR Miata: Tein Flex Racing Beat header, exhaust, 1.125" sway bar, and braces Carbing STB KAAZ diff 949 15x9's 225 Rivals

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Do some research on "resident time" that the air charge spends in the cylinder. I'm not convinced the spacer would do anything good. Much like insulating the crosspipe on an intake... air just doesn't stay in there long enough for the chamber walls to really heat it. It's being heated by the engine itself and then it gets drawn into the filter.

This.

They won't hurt, but don't expect much real-world difference. It IS something else to put in your mods list, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Idling - Listen to it purr... WestfieldMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Blue '09 Westfield MX5
    Thanks Given
    I had one on my '94 a couple of years ago and they indeed work very well to keep the intake manifold cool. I didn't see any power gains though. The only good thing about them is that you could install the air temp sensor directly in the intake since it doesn't heatsoak as much.
    Frank -- '00 engine with MSM turbo and full PnP MS3X.

==========>> Megasquirt true PnP Buildservice for any '90-'05!! <<==========