Thread: DIY: Fire Extinguisher Mount. Cheap & easy.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Big Red's Avatar
    Drives
    DeLorean
    The Land Downunder. Errr the Upsidedown Place.
    Thanks Given

DIY: Fire Extinguisher Mount. Cheap & easy.

Just a cheep no frills simple Fire Extinguisher Mount I knocked up in a hour or so.
    I have used just a normal automotive dry chemical Fire Extinguisher just found at the local automotive suppliers. Fairly cheap, I picked it up for $35 Au/d
    The material used to make the bracket was 3mm aluminum sheet/plate. And I advise to buy new seat bolts approximately 10mm longer than stock as the stock ones will not fit! (Replacement HT M10x25 1.25 with 10mm/ 3/8 washer.)

Step 1. Remove the passenger seat, I found this to be the easy way to make the template needed.

Step 2. Measure & mark out the template to fit in the desired location.

Step 3. Test fit the template & make necessary adjustments.
    Remember its easy to make modifications to the cardboard than making adjustments to alloy plate.

Step 4. Place the seat back into the car & slide the template into the desired location to mark the mounting holes.

Step 5. Use the template to transfer desired shape & hole locations to the alloy plate.

Step 6. Cut the plate to the shape as desired & drill the mounting holes.
    The tools I used for this were 4" or 5" Angle Grinder, Steel file to smooth & round the edges and a hand drill (6mm & 10mm drill bits) REMEMBER! Tin snips will not cut 3mm plate :/

6 Steps to success!, This is a easy way to mount a extinguisher with little effort & it looks good.
    If you want a stealthy look or more creative look you can paint the plate black or sticker-bomb it or even polish the plate.
    mine is yellow because it was a offcut from a job I had at work from a street sign

you can be a fair bit more creative with design of the piece remember the sky is the limit & I'm keen to see what you can come up with.

Bolt the Plate under the seat rails & your done!

Last edited by Big Red; 09-02-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    ~Gareth~
    -ROADSTERZOKU-