Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another Ebay Aluminum radiator for sale....

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredef View Post
    nice sounds like a sweet setup, did you see a noticeable difference in coolant temp when you had the stock rad?
    An aftermarket radiator is simply going to allow the car to operate within a safe range for a longer period of time under harsher conditions. The coolant will still be scorching hot just as if you were running an oem.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    eh? ya, i was just wondering about things like coolant heat up time to operating temperature and if he ever saw the temp needle lean over to the right more often than when he was NA.

ninja'd - i only ask because i'm planning similar FI numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousOne
    Our Father, who art in autos. Hollowed be thy frame. Thy horsepower Come, Thy torque be fun, in imports as in domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel and forgive us our hooning as we forgive those that hoon against us. And lead us not into Rice, but deliver us from Chrome accents. For thine is the Cam, The Piston, and The Rod, Forever and ever (or until they break). Amen.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredef View Post
    eh? ya, i was just wondering about things like coolant heat up time to operating temperature and if he ever saw the temp needle lean over to the right more often than when he was NA.

ninja'd - i only ask because i'm planning similar FI numbers.
    The stock temp gauge has a wide range to play with before it shows any real visual changes and is actually quite "dumb". I have the large Mishimoto (probably identical to this radiator) and I didn't really notice much of a difference in terms of coming to operating temps even during winter time. Your thermostat will still function normally and dictate coolant movement, coolant will still get hot, but what you might be able to measure (with an accurate water temp gauge) is just how high and then how stable water temp levels reach under track use for example.

There's quite a bit of talk on aftermarket radiators on Spec Miata forums with regards to this. Unless you are FI or drafting another car 10/10th's for multiple laps a naturally aspirated Miata will likely get by just fine on a nice condition oem radiator. It is a nice item to have however.

This is one of my favorite videos showing factory cooling systems being put to the test but pro drivers. OEM systems can only hold up to so much though.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Flyineunos's Avatar
    Drives
    White & Orange NA's
    Thanks Given
    I never really had problems with the stock cooling system when I just daily it. I do remember getting close to over heating when I was at the track. Back then i was non turbo, and my oem rad was brand new with fresh water wetter / water combo for fluid. It should be noted that it was summertime, and the temp was 102 degrees and the track temp was over 130 degrees.

1990 Greddy, AK N2 flares, 15x10 custom Southernways, AAC Flush mounts, RS Refine, Bomex, Moroso, HDHCDD, Megan CO, Momo, Voodoo
    1990 FM2, Arias pistons, Eagle H Rods, 15x10 Panasport, KGW, RS Refine, GV, Moroso, Koyo, Link, HDHCDD, Megan CO, Momo, Nakame, Zoom Eng.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyineunos View Post
    It should be noted that it was summertime, and the temp was 102 degrees and the track temp was over 130 degrees.
    We get 2 of those days per year up here. Thanks for making the review btw. Definitely have this and the CXracing in mind for my budget project.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! R2Limited's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    Just ordered one of these for the heck of it. The radiator in my '96 is brown and crusty and needs to be replaced and the price on this was attractive. Thanks for the review and photos, Flyineunos.

FYI - the auction auto-accepted my offer of $185.

Drives
    White & Orange NA's
    Thanks Given
    When you recieve the rad and fan combo, I totally see that the radiator can sit closer to the rad support. All you have to do is redrill the holes where the support brackets on the rad attach (to the rad) about 1/4 inch toward the center. Sounds confusing but once you see it, it will maybe make sense. Before I do this to mine, I'm gonna buy a garage star cooling panel to make sure it fits.

I forgot to add. I cut the plugs off on the fan side of each connector. Then I soldered the new wires together. Black to black on both sides and black w/ blue strip and blue wires to both blue wires on the fan. This will get the correct polarity(pull) on the fans.
    Last edited by Flyineunos; 01-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.

1990 Greddy, AK N2 flares, 15x10 custom Southernways, AAC Flush mounts, RS Refine, Bomex, Moroso, HDHCDD, Megan CO, Momo, Voodoo
    1990 FM2, Arias pistons, Eagle H Rods, 15x10 Panasport, KGW, RS Refine, GV, Moroso, Koyo, Link, HDHCDD, Megan CO, Momo, Nakame, Zoom Eng.

Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    I forgot to add. I cut the plugs off on the fan side of each connector. Then I soldered the new wires together. Black to black on both sides and black w/ blue strip and blue wires to both blue wires on the fan. This will get the correct polarity(pull) on the fans.
    That's pretty key. Thanks for the head's up. I'll make sure to double-check which way the fans are blowing.

Thanks Given
    Before I do this to mine, I'm gonna buy a garage star cooling panel to make sure it fits.
    I put the Garagestar cooling panel in with my Mishimoto. Although my radiator doesn't sit back as far as your photos it is a tight fit. So be sure to test everything before you drill.

Drives
    White & Orange NA's
    Thanks Given
    ^ thanks for the heads up. I was thinking that when I saw that there is a lip on the stock rad. And the DNA rad is flat.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Speaking of tracking on OEM rad's, I had a brand new stock radiator blow up at the track running 100% distilled water on an 80° day. The upper plastic end tank just cracked all the way along the back. I had been lapping for 20 minutes though...

I may be picking one of these up soon! Thanks for the review and pics Flyineunos!
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

Drives
    White & Orange NA's
    Thanks Given
    Another update.......

The rad has a pin hole leak in the coil. I emailed DNAmotorsport and they told me to return it and they will send me a new one. So far I'm meh because of all the labor. They did pay for return shipping and customer service/communication is good.

Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    Yikes. That sucks. Hoping I don't have the same issue.

Drives
    White & Orange NA's
    Thanks Given
    Ok let's try this again. Great communication with DNA and they sent me a replacement radiator as soon as I returned the defective one. Gonna install it today and will report back soon.

Drives
    1996 R2 Limited
    Thanks Given
    I installed mine today. Interestingly...mine came without any DNA Motorsports branding whatsoever. Not even on the box it came in. Plain brown box, plain silver radiator with NO logos on it. Not even on the radiator cap.

Some photos:

Clean undercarriage. Love it

Side-by-side with the OEM radiator. Roughly the same overall thickness.

Swapping the OEM pigtails onto the new fan leads.

I soldered, heat shrunk and taped the OEM connectors on.

The one detail that had me scratching my head was the upper water neck on the new radiator. For some reason its' canted down at a relatively significant angle.

The OEM neck comes out of the top end tank at a 90-degree angle so that it's parallel to the ground. I have not a clue why they angled this one down. Not only is it a little awkward looking, but it also causes the upper radiator hose to interfere with my IAC hose.

They actually touch. I'm sure it's not really a big deal. But it's an unnecessary deal and a little disappointing considering how impressively well designed and made the rest of the kit is.

Here's a top-down view of the whole kit installed so you can see how much room it leaves. Again...pretty much the same as the OEM radiator/fan setup but with a thicker radiator and thinner fans.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast