Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Thanks for the pics. I've considered doing film covers, but ended up just having them re-cleared when I had the front end painted.
    That'll keep them clear for you, but the film also serves to protect against stone chips/damage.

Weather wasn’t too cold here today and the exhaust hangers arrived so dove into that job. Once I had her up in the air and had a look, I figured I’d be able to replace them all without removing my lower diffuser. As it turned out, of the five hangers total (four on the muffler, one on the midpipe) three were urethane and two were rubber. One thing that can make this job easier is an exhaust hanger removal tool like this one:

I was able to use this for most of the hangers, it makes a possibly frustrating job better. I also use WD-40 as lubricant both for removing the old hangers and installing the new ones.

Started on the passenger side of the muffler and got both of those off without too much difficulty. Here is a picture comparing the urethane hanger with a new rubber one:

Next moved to the driver’s side. The rear muffler hanger was rubber but was hard to get off due to a very small clearance between the end of the chassis hanger and the body. A little finagling got that out. The forward muffler hanger on that side was urethane, after some struggling I decided to just cut it off so did that. The hanger on the midpipe was a little bit of a struggle as there is not much clearance for the removal tool so I ended up doing the old-fashioned way with a large flat blade screwdriver (it was rubber so not too bad).

One thing to note, if one of the metal hangers has a bend in it, put the flexible hanger on that side first. You will save yourself some headaches.

Took me about an hour all in, long enough to listen to most of the latest Candy Dulfer album and for my toes to get slightly numb.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-13-2023)