Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    So, after all was said and done with the new shift knob installation, there was about a Ό” gap between the bottom of the knob and the boot. I couldn’t recall how much there was with the original knob, but I got to thinking about how one of the stock shift boots from one of my Mazdas had a plastic cup-shaped piece on the bottom of the boot that sort of took up a gap and kept the top of the boot in shape. That piece came off one time when I was moving stuff around and I never got around to replacing it. Since my brain was working I decided to get some nylon washers from Ace and use them as a spacer/shape holder for the boot. I measured the shift lever and top of the boot and came up with 13mm and 29mm diameters. Went up to Ace today and picked up the washers. Ones I ended up with were 25.4mm OD (1”) and 11.4mm ID (0.45”)/14.3mm ID (0.56”). All were around 1/8” thick. Here they are side by side:

Put them on smallest one first and put things back together. The smaller one didn’t allow a lot of engagement of the knob on the shift lever so I tried the bigger one. Here is how they sat on the shift lever:

The bigger one did the trick. Here is the final result:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Bryan (01-15-2023),HarryB (01-17-2023),oldgrayleather (01-26-2023)