Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    Did another school pick-up run yesterday and the temp gauge was slowly rising as I was sitting in line. Didn’t see anything amiss when I got home. Today I decided to make sure my fan works so I rigged up a pigtail to connect to the fan connector and then used my old battery charger for a constant 12v supply. Fan runs as it should.

Final component that I hadn’t looked at was the fan relay. If you haven’t ever looked for it, it’s tucked away under the passenger front fender outboard of the fuse panel over there. It’s under the black protector you can see in this picture:

After removal of multiple other pieces you end up with this:

The fan relay is the one closest to the firewall. Note, you have to pry really hard to get it off the mounting bracket, so hard I was afraid I was going to break something. Made another pigtail to test this with/without power. The relay switched as it should and I saw continuity when the relay was closed. Got everything buttoned back up. The only other thing that could be affecting the cooling system is the temperature sensor (well, that and the water pump but that doesn’t seem to be the problem).

While under the hood I checked around and saw the clutch fluid was a tad low (probably from when I changed it before MATG) so I opened the cap to fill it. There was some crud in the bottom so I sucked it all out and filled it with fresh.

Took a drive to do some auto-tuning and to run a data log (to check the coolant temperature). Noticed the AFR was a lot different between the wideband gauge and what Tuner Studio was seeing (gauge was richer). The only thing I changed that might have caused that was to set my wideband input to a different AEM model (to see if that did anything for me). So I recalibrated the MS for the model I was using originally and that brought the readings into line. I don’t really understand that as the voltage settings for the two different widebands are the same, but at least it’s working well now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Bryan (09-01-2023)