Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The Driver" owned Montego. A love born in reluctance...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given

"The Driver" owned Montego. A love born in reluctance...

My first Miata was a 95 Merlot, that I just LOVED to show of against Phat. Of course "The Phatness" was already worth my Merlot several times over, by the time I met Randy in the fall of 2002, but his car was still no Merlot, and I took EVERY opportunity to remind him! :Wink:

But by the spring of 2010, that Merlot had been to So Cal and back to FL, with long road trips throughout the original Confederate States (looking for places for a possible relocation) and a trip to NJ/NY to visit relatives. At this point the Merlot (Tamiko) had over 150K miles, using oil every 500 miles and the paint/interior had seen better days. Though I was planning to get a 99/00 engine and re do the interior, the car was hit HARD on the driver side quarter panel. Car had to go!

At this time, I was still unemployed (about 13 months and counting at that time) and my budget was for $5K or less. The car HAD to be clean with less than 90K miles and NA or NB with a stickshift. I didn't wanted a red car... or Montego...

I almost got a clean STO, in which I was going to transfer the cruise and the Torsen from the Merlot, but someone else snatch it. I criscrossed the State of FL, looking for the right car. No luck, everything was overpriced or flat out junk. The only car I liked was in Mazda of Sarasota. It was a white/tan leather car with 93K miles, but the car was PERFECT. Well, other than the ride height it was. They wanted $7,900 for it. I offered my $5K on the spot and they said no. I called a month later, the car was still there and they counter with $7,800!!! YEAH RIGHT!!!

Well, while perousing on Ebay, I found this CLEAN Montego/Leather package with a bad ad and the bids were staying low. Car was in Indianapolis where I have a childhood friend living. Low and behold my bid of $5K got the car! I bought two way tickets (just in case) and three weeks later I flew into Indy.

I was picked up @ the airport by the then owner (Lockheed Engineering Manager, good sign) and I showed him my certified check, but first I had to inspect the car. On our way to his house, a moron driver on burgundy 4door Gran Prix, hit us. We stopped after "giving chase", and there was no damage. That was weird... There was some surface rust, but nothing objectionable. The shocks were BLOWN, but everything else was good enough. Car came with NB '16's anchors. That is when I learned that heavy wheels on a Miata were no-no's!

In any event, before signing the pink slip, I told him that I wanted the car, but I wouln't pay $5K for that car since it had just been hit ;). We haggle for about 5-10 mins and he dropped the price by $300. $4,700 for a car with 47K miles, not bad!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-23-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Pics after FCM 600/375 coilover installation...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    And before the coilovers...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drives
    Thanks Given
    From the Merlot I transferred to the Montego the following: BBS rims, FM sways, Tokico Illuminas, Entuza exhaust, East Miata short shift kit, FM motor mounts and the FM clutch. The FM clutch was improperly installed by my IDIOT cousin, and it barely lasted a month, before changing gears became an exercise in futility. The pressure plate was damaged due to improper torque in.

I was offered a job in Denver in September 2010. I left the car with Tim "The Toolman", but he could not figure out what was wrong with it. After only been in Denver for four months, and getting a transfer to New Orleans, I took the car to Maztech over @ Drew Park in Tampa.

Jeff @ Maztech diagnose and fixed the problem, and $600 later, the car was riding again.

I was in NOLA for 8 long months, and after management figuring out that I was about to take a job with another govt agency in Glendale, California they finally relented to let me leave New Orleans. I was offered D.C., OKC and Tulsa. Since the plan was to get back to Denver, I took Tulsa. Had I taken D.C. (Herndon, VA) I'd still be there...

While in Tulsa, just one drive through the Ozarks with the NEO Miata group (NorthEast OK), showed me that my current suspension was just not working. Yes, I had Illuminas, but the factory springs (red/blue dots out of a '91) where just not working for me. It was then that I started saving and SERIOUSLY researching which coilovers I was going to buy.

Before I got the coilovers, I took my 2002 TRD Tacoma 4X4 for a skiing trip/work training, to Denver. It was supposed to have been a weekend with an ex-gf from Denver. When I got to Denver, it had barely snowed (not good for skiing) and when I got to Denver, my ex-gf would not return my calls. She changed her mind... nno:

It finally snowed a ton, during the last day of training. Before I left to go skiing, Skip Cannon, told me of the availability of a dealer painted '96 Montego HT. For those who don't know, Montego Blue was offered for 4 years (94-97) but though they all have the general same paint code, each year has a different shade. The HT had been painted at a Mazda dealer for a '96 Montego. The price given to me was $950. I gave a down of $400 and payed the rest in 4 months. So even though, I didn't get to see Melanie, since I had the truck, I was able to cart the HT to Tulsa. AWESOME!!!

I saved for 8 months, but by the 5 month of saving, I decided to get Fat Cat Motorsport Coilovers. Here is the thread:http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ight=Coilovers
    Last edited by The Driver; 06-29-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: FM sways, I've never had FM springs.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Pics of said suspension?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Pics of said suspension?
    Boss, your will is my command...

Pic: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....et-for-your-NA

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Boss, your will is my command...

Pic: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....et-for-your-NA

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I seriously love the BBS' on Miatas.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I seriously love the BBS' on Miatas.
    Thanks, I just tolerate them. I wish they were '7 as opposed to '6 wide. My goal is to get a set of 15X8's 6UL by next spring.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I am awaiting a set of 15" BBS basketweaves in a +25 offset from an E30. I can't wait.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I am awaiting a set of 15" BBS basketweaves in a +25 offset from an E30. I can't wait.
    Those are SWEET!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    After taken care of all the coolant hoses were replaced: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....9122#post79122

The only other install was that of the V8R frame rails. Here is the thread: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....3044#post93044

Drives
    Thanks Given
    20130731_203303.jpg

The car before heading out to Flyin' Miata's Summer Camp.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Your build thread is like Halley's Comet. We only see it (or updated) every 75 years.

Car looks great and I still love those BBS'.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Your build thread is like Halley's Comet. We only see it (or updated) every 75 years.

Car looks great and I still love those BBS'.
    20130830_162455.jpg

Well, I have a new toy installed in the car, FM's STB!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast