Thread: revlimiter Gauges, now with EVERY lighting color

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts

revlimiter Gauges, now with EVERY lighting color

I finally got fed up with telling customers "sorry... i... um... can't really make blue lighting. if you wanted to pay me hundreds of dollars to develop it.... maybe...." and other such crap like that. It was unacceptable. I decided to do something about it, so I totally revamped how I make these things and now can offer a TON more lighting options. More colors and more evenly-distributed lighting.

I was even going so far as to warn people away from LEDs before. Screw that! Now you can use any bulb you want. There might be a few brighter spots with LEDs, but it's not really noticeable.

So... without further delay, here's more lighting colors than you ever wanted to see.

Amber lighting with OEM bulbs

Amber is my favorite lighting color. The light output is bright and the amber tint gives a soothing glow.

OEM-Green lighting with OEM bulbs and condoms

Here is my Race Tach in the middle of a set of OEM bulbs. Notice the color match? It's exact. Also, notice how uneven the lighting is on the factory gauges?

White/clear lighting with OEM bulbs

This is a set of gauges with no gel layer to add pigment to the lighting color. I have stock bulbs installed with no cover over them.

White/clear lighting with LED bulbs

LED lighting is around 4x as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs. That's two stops of light brighter for fellow photogs. I'm using superbrightLED.com's HP5 bulbs. They have 4 LEDs firing radially and one firing straight ahead. It makes for very bright, very even light and an awesome, modern look.

Blue lighting with OEM bulbs

After years of effort, I finally produced a lighting gel that gives blue light with OEM bulbs. Seriously, years of effort. Every time I've done this before, it's ended up looking quite purple and dim.

Blue lighting with LED bulbs

The LED bulbs really make a good thing better here. The blue changes from an aqua to a true-blue. LEDs also add a lot more brightness. These are every bit as bright as my beloved amber lighting. With OEM bulbs, the blue lighting is about 1.5x dimmer.

Red lighting with OEM bulbs:

This was hard to capture with my camera. It looks a bit more red and less orange to your eyes.

The red numbers and red wedge look to be the same shade. That's huge. I've never been able to achieve this.

Red lighting with LED bulbs:

I was surprised by this result. The LEDs took away some of the redness and washed the color out. This didn't happen with blue or purple.

For folks who want the reddest red possible, white lighting with red bulb condoms is best. Next is red with OEM bulbs. In last place is red with LED bulbs.

Purple lighting with OEM bulbs

Does this look very purple to you? It's about the same to my eyes. There's a lot of red in there. It's not a bad color, really. Kinda neat.

Purple lighting with LED bulbs

THIS is purple! This is why I made this color. It looks amazing with LED bulbs. For anyone who wants purple gauges, I'd suggest LEDs to power them. It's really damn cool.

Yellow lighting with OEM bulbs

This color is similar to the uncovered OEM bulb option, but with a bit more yellow tint. And... how to put this delicately... this isn't "pee" yellow. It's quite pleasant and non-offensive.

White lighting with OEM bulbs and colored covers (condoms)

This is a set of gauges with white/clear lighting and amber bulb covers. The amber color is a bit more yellow than my own gel layer above, but it's still quite nice. Very bright and soothing.

This one has the OEM green condoms in place and white-lit gauges in front. It's a very pale green. It looks more white to my eyes, but the camera picked up a lot of green.

And here's a red bulb condom. It's amazing in person. It's a deep blood red that my camera just couldn't pick up. It's stunning.

Another shot of the red.

Blue condoms installed. This is pretty dim. The blue really removes a lot of light. If someone wanted blue, I'd nudge them toward my blue-gel gauges and some white LEDs.

Lastly, here's some purple bulb covers. It's really awesome in person. The camera didn't quite get the purple color. And these are not as dim as with the blue condoms. I was surprised.

Next up: red!
    Last edited by revlimiter; 11-17-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: done! All colors now pictured.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    That is awesome Adam! Looks fantastic!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch nickpic83's Avatar
    Drives
    94 MX-5
    Thanks Given

Re: revlimiter Gauges, now with EVERY lighting color

The amber and blue are great looking!
    94-FM springs, tokico illumina shocks,fat cat motorsports upper mounts, Enthuza exhaust, konig rims, R front lip, alpine head unit, CAI, LSD, vodoo shift knob

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    This makes me soooo sad! Guess I'll have to order another set of gauges later on lol, can't buy another set before even installing the first ones lol. I knew there was a reason I wanted to wait a bit before ordering lol.

But awesome work Adam! That lighting looks great!
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the complements guys! I've been working on this for so long now (weeks straight). The kind words hit the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by psulja View Post
    This makes me soooo sad! Guess I'll have to order another set of gauges later on lol, can't buy another set before even installing the first ones lol. I knew there was a reason I wanted to wait a bit before ordering lol.

But awesome work Adam! That lighting looks great!
    HA! Sorry about that. After I get pix up of the red lighting and purple lighting, that should be it for big changes for a while. Just new designs after that.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Dilly's Avatar
    Drives
    '96 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Dayuummmm.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    ooooooh these look nice.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Adam, you never cease to impress. Nice work.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Well that made my decision a million times harder. Can you color match to the HVAC panel?
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given

Yeah, at least for the ones that don't use bulb condoms. I'm still waiting on condoms for the HVAC bulbs in the mail.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Dang! That white looks so clean and really compliments the gauge design. One concern though... is that just the light reflecting around the inner edge of the gauge or light seeping thru?
    RoadsterLife<3

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given

Just light reflecting off the factory trim rings. Nothing more than that.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given

And on the inside, it's light reflecting from the needles. Those things spew light everywhere.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Figured, thanks for clearing that up tho
    RoadsterLife<3

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Love it all so much.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast