Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: headlight polishes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I haven't tried that with headlights but it makes sense if you don't do the clearcoat method. I've polished my instrument cluster lens and then a few passes with a heat gun to melt the polish into the micro fissures I figure. Even just the polish made a big difference though. I hated it when the sun hit it just right and showed all the scratches but after polishing it, it was fine.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    SEM calls for about two minutes per area with their own light which is about 3 inches. So, figure about 6 minutes per headlight. Since I couldn't afford their light ($200+), I just got my plain old black light bulb and left it in each spot for a few minutes and kept scooting down as I was doing other stuff. I think it ended up being half an hour per headlight. I wasn't paying attention. Other people say just to leave it in the sun all day and it'll cure fine. Curing is not the same as drying.

Some people get all scientific and argue about UV wavelength from the SEM light is proper while UV lights from Spencers or Home Depot aren't as good but I just know I didn't have a bunch of money for a lightbulb.

There are other methods as well. Here is one I've looked at before and was impressed with his before and after photos:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lant-idea.html

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CeeJaayDM's Avatar
    Drives
    2012 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    ive restored a couple headlights via clay, polish w/ a cutting pad, and wax/sealant.
    instagram >>> @cmxciii

no moar miata. i just lurk & stuff now.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ChrisJuliano's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I have used 3M's product before and loved it, my old jetta had horrible lights and after using it they looked brand new. My friend who helped me do them has done them to all of his cars and loves the product aswell, I havnt had the car I used it on for long enough to tell if it works well after a long period of time but I probably had a total of 5-6 months after using it and they looked just as good as the day I did it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12