Thread: Mazda Roadster Coupe Feature / Speed Hunters

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

Post Mazda Roadster Coupe Feature / Speed Hunters

THE ROADSTER…THAT ISN’T A ROADSTER

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/...nt-a-roadster/

I thought I’d spice this celebration of all things Mazda Roadster Miata MX-5 with a look at a car that remains one of the most memorable NBs I have ever driven. The year was 2004, and Mazda set up a cool drive event of a bunch of new limited edition Roadsters which, on top of the limited edition Turbo model, included this “factory” built Roadster Coupe. Not many of these cars were made, hand crafted by one of Mazda’s subsidiary coachworks companies where the metal roofs were hand welded onto the base Roadster bodies.

The result addressed what many fans of Japan’s most affordable driver’s car had wanted Mazda to do for years. The NB Roadster Coupe was only sold in Japan and remains a very rare sight on the road.

I remember the slightly customized Type A version I drove, sporting Volk Racing wheels and a simple bodykit, felt great around the handling track that Mazda set up, more rigid and precise than its open top counterpart for obvious reasons.

All Roadsters have always followed a simple recipe, where low weigh and simplicity takes precedence over power and performance, forcing the driver to push hard behind the wheel to extract the most out of the car. The 160 HP the 1.8L version of the Coupe I drove that day, may have felt a little uninspiring compared to what we are used today, but it was plenty to have enough fun with.

While the NC, that followed a year later, did come (eventually) with a hardtop foldable roof, the NB remains the only factory Roadster to have ever been offered as a Coupe and therefore an important addition to our little Roadster Festival!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/...nt-a-roadster/
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    WOW... very BRZ'esque.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch LoveJoy33's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    WOW... very BRZ'esque.
    Ewww not even close..... its more of an MG or a triumph than anything........
    The true man wants two things: Danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

–Nietzsche

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1999 Highlight Silver Metallic Miata
    Thanks Given
    I saw one at the LA Auto Show that year. Up close, it was very nicely done. I would have loved to have been able to buy one. The people working the booth where it was being shown told me that people who didn't know Miata well liked it well enough....but that 90% of the existing owners were down right rude and abusive to them over it. It seemed the day I went I was the first one to express that it was a nice idea and built nicely. I am fairly certain that show was a major reason it never got built on a larger scale. What a shame, it was a really nice car....
    99 Highlight Silver Metallic- AEM CAI, Aluminum Radiator, Bilsteins, 10 AE engine, Racing Beat Springs and Muffler, New Robbins Top, 10AE Strut Tower Brace. Low key/ low bucks- parts waiting in the garage most of the time. Driven over 230,000 miles from California's twisties to Florida's humidity...