Thread: REVIEW: Garage Star Brake Master Brace

Idling - Listen to it purr... Justin's Avatar
    Drives
    NA Miata
    Thanks Given

REVIEW: Garage Star Brake Master Brace

Much thanks to Ken from Garage Star for quality products, fast shipping and customer service.

Upon hearing that Garage Star was going to produce a brake master brace, a question popped into my mind. Why? What would the point be?

Answer is, whenever the brake pedal is depressed, the firewall flexes and the entire brake master assembly moves forward a good solid 1/8 inch, and braking power is lost. To remedy this, the Garage Star brace utilizes the factory shock mounting points to push back against the brake master, thus reducing the amount of flex in the firewall and potential braking power lost.

Design is very utilitarian and straight forward, the brace itself being made of steel, then powdercoated in a black finish. The stopper is made from delrin, with a 13mm nut threaded onto the protruding screw.

Being a prototype, there is slight weld splatter on the brace, which won't make it to the production version. Even then, it still looks good. The weld gives it some character, as if it came like that from the factory, and the black finish only adds to that feel.

Installation is easy, and should take 3 minutes max. Two shock nuts and the two bolts that hold the air box down need to be removed, after which, the brace can just slide under the air box and into the shock mount. After bolted down, a 13mm wrench is used to secure the nut on the stopper.

After installing it on the car, and going for a drive the first touch of the brakes brought forth a noticeably stiffer pedal feel. Not only during hard braking, but normal, even soft braking. It inspires confidence, just in the same way an aftermarket steering wheel gives a Miata better road feel. I removed it just so I could see if I could live without it, and I can't, it truly makes the stock brake pedal feel mushy. I just had to put it back on. Besides, it matches the engine bay really well.

Last edited by Justin; 01-27-2013 at 01:16 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Johnnie's Avatar
    Drives
    06 NC
    Thanks Given
    Nice! I've seen some homemade setups and this has them squarely beaten.
    John Evans
    >>>Li'l Stinker<<< https://www.facebook.com/litllestinker
    06 MX-5 Miata 6MT-- Quaife LSD >>>Li'l Stinker on MR.net<<<

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CMP's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    I'm waiting patiently for this piece.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    so really, all this piece provides is better, more confident, pedal feedback? would you recommend this product so much that it's a must have item?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    This look good. I am definitely getting one.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package