Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Story of the Wind Chariot

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Coupeloop's Avatar
    Thanks Given

Story of the Wind Chariot

just copying pasting to here... just in case....

"figured why not.. excuse the run on sentences as well, trying to make it quick.
    OK so its not like i just got my car or anything, I'll be posting the old pics of all the modifications etc that i've done to my car... I'll try to arrange the pictures in order to the best of my ability... and there was alot of things that i experimented/had fun with as this is the only car i really went crazy with...(alot of things i did to this car was on a whim as well) my other cars I owned was during high school so i didnt do much to em (wheels+drop etc). I'd have to say I've received the most general auto knowledge from owning this car (prob because i've had it the longest out of any of the other cars..) Most of it was really trial and error. also with this car i made a lot of awesome friends as well <3 ~*XOXO*~

2006, traded my blue gts 86 coupe (reason why my user name is coupeloop)
    it was rough around the edges.. i loved it but i had to let it go to get something more reliable.

I originally posted it for sale, but then the guy that wanted to check out my car offered me a miata, so I was like why not. A week later i got my 92 1.6 NA no a/c or PS.. came with a roll bar(dunno brand), mazda speed 2 way lsd, racing beat headers/exhaust, snug top hardtop, jackson racing intake, wings west wing, long mudflaps, ground control sleeves on tokicos, cusco headers, IMSA bucket seat, and some other nick nacks.

my old s13 in the background, that I gave to my brother.

came with some odd rims though.

first thing i did was put sportmax on it LOL...I use to actually sell the wheels on random forums/or by word of mouth... mind you this was 2006 ...this was before they were called XXR, and they just came in blank white boxes with the specs of the wheels on it.
    wrapped in azenis

felt ricey, and put on a yoshimura exhaust lullul... I was a pretty dumb kid... but hey everybody asked my questions about it... and it actually sounded nice too. however it was short lived, I blew the rivets holding it together (back pressure i guess)

drove it around dandy for a while.. hit a guard rail after a rainy kinod, (explains the broken vent light.), replaced a fender/bumper etc etc.

back when i had my s13/86 I use to go junk yarding a lot, after i got my miata i really didnt need to go (well that and i really never noticed miatas in junkyards back then.. i had the mentality if it wasnt the same car i own/owned i never really paid attention to it if i saw another one on the street.) anyways to make it short..... friend tells me friday night hes going to the junkyard sat morning. i'm like "meh, dont really need anything, but call me if you see a miata there". he calls me in the morning and i'm half asleep, and tell me there is a miata there, and theres a HARDTOP on it. What was even more funny is that the hardtop was already white LOLOL... no defroster/headliner, scored it for 200 bucks. So i gave my snug top to my brother, and kept the OEM junkyard one.

later down the line.

surfing craigslist. i found an autopower cage, for 500$! the guy was in spec miata and he was telling me that they needed 2 door bars now, so the one he was selling is obsolete. so i think i got it for a steal :3

more experimenting, the RX7 diffuser. Back then i saw grinders car, and it inspired me to do it. so I did.

oh yea i was rocking/loaning some AME shallens for a bit as well too. and fender mirrors, LOL man that makes me laugh.

around the time i worked at RB motoring(now VR wheels).. i had swapped over to megan coilovers and some other things.
    one day i was on my lunch break and found these on yahoojp, and they brought em in for me.

yea LOL at the tire size, lol there was no 13in tires at the shop, so my friend works at sams club, and he just gave me some used 13 inch tires for free so w/e.. (rocked them for a while then sold them off to somebody, and then ended up being Mr. breakingoilpan/harry's wheels)

MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    So after a while.. working/saving up etc... i scored these through paul. Brand new from Work. 15x9 0 offset all around on 195/50s

I put vinyl sticker on the other set of spokes, which gave it a nice touch i think. (i wasnt down to paint the spoke of brand new wheels. oh and i had some moon eyes mirrors on my car for a lil bit too haha)
    Also mike @ auto konexion hooked me up with his CF front lip

scored these from my importer for 100bucks

i think a little bit after i installed the LED panel lights in my interior.
    got a Nardi Classic 330 wheel, with an FET quick release.
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    after a while my pilot bearing...or was it throw out bearing..? went out.
    got an ACT with a heavy duty pressure plate

got an autokonexion rear CF panel.

part of the deal with peter was his intake manifold...I already had a HKS vpc, but didnt want to go carb.. so i went fuel injection instead. I got some ITBs from Jimmy @ fujiracing... the vpc didnt really work out to well (again more experimenting... no researching.) so I ended up just buying MSpnp a few days later

*honk*

with filters.

sadly... this is the only video I have of the itbs running.

however... sadly it was short lived.. I was out meeting up friends for dinner. I pulled out of a plaza drive way.. got pulled over. hood popped. ref ticket, along with a front plate ticket. I just got really discouraged with everything car wise... I went MIA from Kinod for a few months. If i did come by it was either in my xB or my 94 corolla.. i worked my ass off and just paid for the ticket, while car sat for months.
    Last edited by Coupeloop; 01-04-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    looked like this for a while...

and then looked like this..

reverted it back to normal.....
    car sitting.. with the company-cousin car
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    after that i ordeal....went back to a normal intake etc. I had bought a 94? corolla to daily drive.
    rocked the ARC>RB intake set up, along with a JR carb header..put in a buddy club seat. but I only took out the car occasionally/ and to the dai's drift academy/autox .. i miss these events, nothing to hit but cones on an empty air base, (I was paid to work the event, then drive the rest of the day for free after i got done registering people, but some mark ass trick had to ruin it for EVERYBODY.)

also installed midtenn buckets

I was bored at one of the dai's events, and installed Ryoku Rob tow hooks..(picture taken afterwards, but just for reference.) Works perfectly for me, because i cant lift the rear of the car using the diff since the diffuser is there.
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    i got another trunk from a friend, put a GT wing on it with raised mounts made by ryoku rob, put Garage vary canards, touge run front lip, those ebay splitter add ons... got the auto konexion side skirts(had them painted black) and finished putting the covers on the mid tenn headlights and my led 3rd brake light :3 oh and a friend of mine found some TSIs at the junkyard for me, i scored em for 12 bucks HAHAHA

after this photo shoot, the mirrors came off, and i got some APR carbon ones.

I guess this part is when it gets real serious.. Grinder wanted my wheels, and he gave me an offer for his wheels i couldnt refuse... but his wheels were x11 inch in the REAR!? so what he do?....
    yea...... i was sorta cringing... but it was for the best..

brought it home for the test fitting..

if you havent noticed.. i have some kind of wheel fetish.

looked like this for like 2 weeks:

my fascination with 15x11 inch wheels
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    I got a hood vent.. as usually seen on S chassis or FCs
    the original shape of the vent is just a square, but the end didnt flow somehow to me (closest part to the windshield) So i just traced the back end of the hood, on to the vent and cut the curve, so it contoured with the back end.

(to the left if you have no idea what im talking about)

icking a color was tough, In my heart i didnt want color change completely ( i would've went with black to do the whole JPS miata scheme) but the white engine bay would have been bleh to me, since i didnt remove the motor.
    So i just went with keeping it white... but I didnt want PEARL white. I mean the color is nice, but the yellow/pink/blue ish that you get from pearl is a little bit too fancy for a miata imo.
    So he showed me some options, It is a pearl theoretically, but not the USUAL pearl...
    pretty much the brightest white, with silver ice pearl (doesnt have those extra colors in it and what nots)
    the pearl ghosts in the shade/at night so the car just looks white. Then when the sun hits it you can really see it.

finishing touches at the paint shop. putting the car back together, turn around time was 3 weeks ish? i dont remember, it worked out fine because at that time i bought a parts car and it took up my garage spot anyways so i didnt mind not having my car for a while.

i had smoked the oem tails, but they were 'pull over' dark so i got rid of them. so i went back to my altezzas FUK YA! lol

sprayed altezza tailights, and had rob cut me new side plates for the wing.
    anyways.... thanks to rob.... got my side pieces for the wing designed and cut

before:

after:
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    beatrush under tray which i mated with my APR lol

I installed an oil cooler i got from CX, and made a guard for it.

taaaaa daaaaaa...

just picked this up earlier today too, havent even gotten to it yet.... gotta modify it to fit my cage, and the red one currently in my car is going to underrated.
    [/QUOTE]
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    i got me a pair of these for super discounted price i couldn't pass up, and i just wanted to do more experimenting to see if it'd work.. these were made for a FD... pretty much like the zeromotive rear canards (which is for the miata that rev9 sells)
    looks like:

the miata version...

the FD pieces that i made it work on my car, ryokurob (much thanks) gave a big hand in helping me mount them on my bumper. some cutting was involved but seemed to work out great

if anybody asks why i didnt just buy the ones made for a miata??? well i didn't have to spend 125+$ on these ones, and its in carbon.
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    kinda... somewhere... got sick of my equips 01s and ordered some TE37Vs
    i was cruising around minkara and stumbled across this fine machine...
    I messaged the owner of that vehicle for what specs he is running. he responded that hes running the 8.5s in front and 9s in the rear....... but i opted for the 9s all the way around.

i got bit by the bug....... and just had to have em... so thats when i posted my equips up for sale.....

what was amazing was the time it took to get here.... (i ordered it 4 days after the earthquake/tsunami hit). It only got bumped back by only 20-25 days from the original ETA.
    so 90ish days later......

i still need to shave the inner lip of the flare of the rear.. as you can see its REAL close.

to be honest i was really shooting to emulate this .... i think it was achieved.

*boom boom pow*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    started to pretty up the engine bay......sent out a spare valve cover i've had laying around to get powder coated.

HPS gave me full sponsorship on a bunch of couplers and t-bolt clamps. super high quality stuff, a bit overkill to be honest but hey, it works.
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    rob made me new set of tow hooks with my genius idea of tappin holes in to them for mounting points of various things... lisc plate/splitter support rods etc.

he also made me a tow hook for my hood.

MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

Thanks Given
    most recent picture of it....

i'll update again once I'm rewiring my tail lights..... and wait for some stupid bulbs i ordered off Ebay.
    MONEY doesn't buy STYLE

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coupeloop For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-17-2016)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Love your car, man! There's so many little details and so much going on, but it all flows together so well. Keep it up!
    RoadsterLife<3

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Second that. Loved all the history and photos!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast