Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raceland Questions..

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Fair enough.

My additional thoughts are as follows:
    What is the turnaround on the 2 year warranty? What exactly does it cover? If you blow a shock or it breaks, but has to be replaced repeatedly, what's the benefit?

I would ask "Has anyone driven on rough roads with racelands and had them break? If so, what was your experience with the warranty?

Could you find a set of decent used springs for $100 and lower the car that way? Are you somehow avoiding taxes and duty on racelands that you can't by sourcing the OEM shocks locally? (I admittedly spent no more than 13.8 seconds searching for that.)

I'm just trying to give you other options. Slamming your car on racelands ultimately de-values the car, but that's my opinion (obviously.) When shopping for a miata, I'll walk away from a car on racelands because it causes me to question what other cheap shortcuts were taken.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Frenchmanremy's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    I agree with your last statement, partly.

I, unlike most, always have and always will return a vehicle for sale the way I've gotten it. IE: Stock.

To the detriment of my parents and my renters( my old house is rented but I kept storage space), I have kept all stock parts for the car, and will be getting what I need to put it back to stock if I ever sell it. I don't plan on ever selling it tbh. The car's been more then awesome to me.

You know when you've found THE car you can trust and it feels like you've been through a bunch together? That's that car for me.

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    Finding used springs for cheap is not something I like to do.
    Not that many miata guys over here, and the ones that are here rarely modify their cars, ie, they change stuff when it's dead, not when something better turned up.
    AND I'd still have to replace the shocks.

The duty and shipping fees I can go around, since my father goes around Salt Lake, Utah for work every now and again and he'd be willing to bring them back. (Raceland is in Bluffdale Utah)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power EMMI's Avatar
    Drives
    suupazilla
    Thanks Given
    IMHO, don't ask for reviews and not expect opinions from both sides of the spectrum. I've worked with several and have ridden on several and have never seen anything positive from them. It does however reflect the owner and how much he/she is willing to invest in the car in terms of maintenance and repairs... so they're usually all janky and f*cked up. before I go further... U get what you pay for.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by EMMI View Post
    IMHO, don't ask for reviews and not expect opinions from both sides of the spectrum. I've worked with several and have ridden on several and have never seen anything positive from them. It does however reflect the owner and how much he/she is willing to invest in the car in terms of maintenance and repairs... so they're usually all janky and f*cked up. before I go further... U get what you pay for.
    Hear, hear!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    listened listened...

So on a "I'm willing to try and save up a bit more topic",

What about EZ-Streets vs. Tein Basis.

I'd trust the Tein name over the EX streets, but they seem to be able to be had at similiar price points, ie: 600-700$

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    I've also just found OEM bilstein and Apexi springs at my buddy's place. He's willing to part for 200$. Maybe 60k miles on them.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchmanremy View Post
    listened listened...

So on a "I'm willing to try and save up a bit more topic",

What about EZ-Streets vs. Tein Basis.

I'd trust the Tein name over the EX streets, but they seem to be able to be had at similiar price points, ie: 600-700$
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchmanremy View Post
    I've also just found OEM bilstein and Apexi springs at my buddy's place. He's willing to part for 200$. Maybe 60k miles on them.
    What is an EZ Street and who makes Apexi springs? What are their rates? With all due respect, you are aiming at everything and hitting nothing.

May I suggest to take a break, figure what you are trying to accomplish, and how much money will it take to get there. Than find out what your budget and your needs allows.

Good luck!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    I want a lowered car with a suspension I needn't worry about for a while for a minimum amount of cash.
    I want adjustability, and medium ride quality.

Just spent some time reading a long e-mail from a friend. He was saying the main reason behind the raceland issues with driveability and handling is that people always slam the suspension right away. He was telling me that on his car, having had them for a year on moderately low height the suspension does what it's supposed to do. ie, good bang for buck but don't expect miracles type of deal.

I need a break.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power EMMI's Avatar
    Drives
    suupazilla
    Thanks Given
    if you can save up a tad bit more, Street Advance w/ it's new valving system is definitely worth it.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1993 Miata, Brilliant Black
    Thanks Given

Raceland Questions..

I've had mine for over a year and have put over 10,000 miles on them, and I autocross with them. I can't complain, sure a $1000+ set are going to be better but for the price they are great. Ride quality definitely suffers as a DD, but when you sit 2 inches off the ground you can't expect it to be the most comfortable ride. If you can afford better coilovers, then don't get Racelands, but Im more than satisfied with mine.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I just ran into this thread @ M.net, while searching for "Rokkor Coilovers". Please reas pages 8-9.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...aceland&page=8

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    You don't want to hear any negative criticism about the quality or price so you automatically eliminate a vast majority of opinions. Check the out at the home of slammage,dropped or lowered Miatas.

They do have 2 redeeming factors,they allow for an OEM ( Showa )quality coilover than can be height adjusted and they are cheap. You get what you pay for,and for that price,they beat the snot out of GR 2's,Tokico Blues,and OEM equipment ( except for the Billie Hards )

I have installed several sets,and driven quite a few of them a year or two after install. Since you don't want any negativity I'll refrain from the commenting re: these dampers once they get some miles on them. There are some dyno plots and a post showing a dismantled damper over at CR.Net or M.Net,go do some serious research and look at the cartridge installed inside the aluminum housing to get a "truer" picture of these gems and why they are so cheap.
    Last edited by Thumper13; 02-24-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper13 View Post
    You don't want to hear any negative criticism about the quality or price so you automatically eliminate a vast majority of opinions. Check the out at the home of slammage,dropped or lowered Miatas.

They do have 2 redeeming factors,they allow for an OEM ( Showa )quality coilover than can be height adjusted and they are cheap. You get what you pay for,and for that price,they beat the snot out of GR 2's,Tokico Blues,and OEM equipment ( except for the Billie Hards )

I have installed several sets,and driven quite a few of them a year or two after install. Since you don't want any negativity I'll refrain from the commenting re: these dampers once they get some miles on them. There are some dyno plots and a post showing a dismantled damper over at CR.Net or M.Net,go do some serious research and look at the cartridge installed inside the aluminum housing to get a "truer" picture of these gems and why they are so cheap.
    Alright, great comment, Thanks for your input.

The driver, Thanks for that link. I shed a tear for those poor Miatae owners.

I will be ordering a set of Tein Street Basis for the car for springtime.
    Seem to be rebuildable, of good quality and repute, and just above my budget. I'd like to get Tein Street advance because of EDFC and a higher quality damper but they are out of budget.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and insight!

I truly am grateful for such an understanding and professional community. For once on a forum, a dumb question and trolls kept at bay.

Awesome!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    ^ Good choice, I think you'll be very happy that you went that route!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast