Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raceland Questions..

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Frenchmanremy's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given

Raceland Questions..

SO.

Lots of mixed feelings on these by many different forums, however.

Everythink I read on these coilovers that is of a positive nature seems to be from people that have had them for a month max.

I was wondering if people that have had them for a while were willing to offer up their reviews.

I don't feel like hearing about how raceland is for ricers or cheapos or other negative chatter.

Thanks in Advance!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Left0verCurry's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10AE, 05 WRX
    Thanks Given
    My buddy drives a 00 with racelands and has had them for almost 8 months now. We both ride about the same height (~pinky gap between the fender & tire). I personally cant feel the difference between his setup and my megan ez streets. I would have gone with racelands too if i didnt get a good deal on a used set of megans.

Idling - Listen to it purr... ChrisSWT's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    if it is for DD go for it. i have them since 2011 and they have been great so far. Little soft but its my DD so im pretty happy with it.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ctrench's Avatar
    Drives
    1993 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    ive had mine for about 8-9 months now, and i love them! definetly worth the price, and they seem to be really good quality

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    i've had them on for a couple months. my miata is my weekend car. i feel like they're not much stiffer than the stock suspension, therefore it's not much better handling-wise, so all i can praise it for really is the ability to lower the car as much as i want.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    OP, For what is worth, so far all of the Megan owners posters in this thread, live in areas where the roads are generally glass smooth. I have heard horror stories of the roads in your neck of the woods. You may want to keep that in mind.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch gapmiatas's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1991 Crabbycar
    Thanks Given
    I've had them for a little over a year and despise them. But... they're better than the stock 125k mile worn out suspension that was on the car and free coilovers is free coilovers. (came free with used rollbar, swaybars, endlinks and front sway brace)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch MiataMatt's Avatar
    Drives
    93 Miata - Blue
    Thanks Given

Re: Raceland Questions..

I've been in several other cars with racelands. Rides not terrible, but I will agree they are a little softer. I'm thinking about getting some this spring for street use in my miata. Anyone couple these with bigger swaybars to help with the roll from being softer?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    sway bar upgrades definitely help. but they don't really make the suspension itself any stiffer; they just help keeping the car planted. i don't know, that's my two cents.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch MiataMatt's Avatar
    Drives
    93 Miata - Blue
    Thanks Given

Re: Raceland Questions..

That's what I'm talking about. Swaybars are used to keep the two sides of the suspension level when cornering. Softer springs ride better on rough roads but roll more in hard corners. A beefy sway bar would help in the corners without sacraficing ride quality. I know its not perfect, but its my street car. I'm just looking for anyone with experience with racelands and sway bars, not the best performing suspension combo I can buy

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for all the input guys! Has anyone had them over long distances? For autocross? For over a couple years? for more then 10'000 Miles?

Is it really as soft as stock suspension? I remember riding in them and feeling my backbone move up an inch every bump we hit. Sounds negative, but the seats were all fibreglass(no cushion), like mine.

What about changing the springs on them? Anyone Experimented?

This is for DD, some autocross, and other hoonniganisms.

My budget is overtightened, therefore no money to replace the clunking stock suspension.

Now I need to go reading on which one to get for my 1997.. NA or NB coils from Raceland. Seems to be different opinions on both. ie: Go lower(NA) or stiffer rates(NB).
    But really, does 25lbs make that big of a difference?

The roads around here are harsh to say the least, and suspensions take a beating as a result. But all the more reasoning to spend 400$ on suspension rather then 1200$.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    I bought them when they first came out for the Miata for $258 shipped to my door. It was probably two years ago I think. My car is my DD and I completely regret my decision. If you honestly enjoy driving your car, I wouldn't get them. Find used billstiens or some basic shock/spring combo. I know everyone claims to have crappy roads, but ours are so bumpy and uneven from the changing weather. It really lets you realize how bouncy the Racelands are.

One of these days I'll borrow my buddy's gopro and film a short montage of me doing my daily drive to work so people can see how bouncy they really are.

edit: in regards to spending less because you have harsh roads... that's not a good argument imo. If you have a quality setup, it won't go to sh*t because of bad roads, but if they happen to, they'll probably have a better warranty.
    RoadsterLife<3

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchmanremy View Post

The roads around here are harsh to say the least, and suspensions take a beating as a result. But all the more reasoning to spend 400$ on suspension rather then 1200$.
    Ever since I moved out of FL, I had to deal with shity roads. I paid more than $1, 200 for my coilovers, but they are worth their weight in gold, specially when I drive over craped out Denver roads. Good coilovers don't bunk out in shity roads, they shine on them!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchmanremy View Post
    My budget is overtightened, therefore no money to replace the clunking stock suspension.
    I'll refrain from being a complete a$$hole in my response as much as possible.... Either you lack common sense or you're not being honest with us. If your purpose is to replace blown, clunking shocks, then replace them with decent shocks that are within your budget. If your purpose is to be one of the "cool kids" and "slam" your car, and you're using your blown shocks as an excuse, then just do it. Spend the $400 or whatever it is instead of buying halfway decent shocks, slam your car (despite that your roads suck and it will end up sending another miata to the great miata playground in the sky), but please don't ask for our opinion of "how do they ride," because at the end of the day, you really don't care. You get what you pay for.

If money is THAT much of an issue... OEM replacements:
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/shocks_stru...FeZFMgodHV4AKQ
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

Drives
    1997 Black Base
    Thanks Given
    So those are the same price as racelands. 140$ for both, plus shipping to canada, plus taxes and duty. Plus the two rear and the springs.

I do want to lower my car, and the roads here are bad but not all. IE: I have 5 different ways I can get to work, 2 of those roads are patched to hell, 3 are wonderfully flat.
    In order to keep from sending my miata to the graveyard, from which it's been saved before(front end collision prev. owner), I do also plan to save up for the frame rails and butterfly brace. I've also made an aluminum skid plate and have lifted my engine.

You're not sounding like an asshole, You're totally right, I AM biased.
    I strongly believe that spending 400$ on cheap coilovers(with a 2yr warranty) is better 400$ on new replacement shocks without the ability to lower, but keeping all stock specs and suspension geometry for the car as it was meant by mazda.

Maybe some of my questions were either unclear or unfair.

What my Original questions were, Will it last more then two years without showing huge signs of wear and tear, and , Is the ride quality harsher then stock, would you say your car coners better now on a flat plane then before?

Better?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast