Thread: Is an Auto to Manual Swap Worth The Effort?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given

Is an Auto to Manual Swap Worth The Effort?

I've done some reading on the auto to manual swap and its fairly straight forward, but I was wondering what your opinions are on the whole auto to manual swap. I know the auto engine has approximately 10 less horsepower, and I know what it would take to swap it out, but is it worth all the money and effort?
    The reason I ask is because I found a rust free, never winter driven,'90 Classic Red with 280,000 km (173k miles) with a hardtop locally. It's a good deal around here($3,500 obo), and the mileage doesn't bother me too much, it's the fact that it's an auto that kinda kills it for me. Whats your take on this?
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Jester's Avatar
    Thanks Given

I know what your saying about the auto being a deal breaker...it would be for me too.

I would pass on the car. You'd be better off just waiting for a manual to come up for sale. It's not that you can't switch it over to a manual...because your right, you can... But what a pain in the ass to do, when you could just wait for the perfect Miata to come up for sale that already is a manual.

Or, just take a trip and buy a manual Miata somewhere else, where prices aren't so high. (that seems awfully expensive for a 90 with that many miles).
    1990 Medium Titanium Mettalic, FFS, 6UL's, FM2, Clearview Maxx

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    ^ Agreed ^

When making a purchase like that, make sure you get what YOU want. If you have to compromise, compromise on small things but usually buy exactly what you want. There are always cars out there.

Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Or, just take a trip and buy a manual Miata somewhere else, where prices aren't so high. (that seems awfully expensive for a 90 with that many miles).
    I know exactly what you mean about everything and I do agree that I should buy what I want.
    The reasons why I am semi-considering this one is 1) for a rust free one in this area it's cheap. Rust free ones typically go for $8,000-10,000 and 2) I was thinking the trip to say California to pick it up and the trip back would cost approximately as much as a swap.
    Austin.
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    Florida would be much closer...We have rust free cars and prices are cheap enough...

Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given

Quote Originally Posted by afc2112 View Post
    Florida would be much closer...We have rust free cars and prices are cheap enough...
    Yeah Cali was just an example. I'm looking pretty much anywhere down south at this point.
    Austin.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I totally think the swap would be worth it. Of course, that is my idea of fun. Sharka's natural environment is on jack stands.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    ..... sounds like people who are intimidated by work.

Buy it if it's in good condition. You can pick up a trans anywhere for stupid cheap and odds are it isn't busted. I did my first auto to stick swap for one of the supras in our local club and it was cake and a half. Totally fun.

It's not hard. And anyway, in the end, if you decide to not do the swap. you could always sell the miata later. Eitherway, I'd jump on a chance to snag a good condition miata at a low price regardless of transmission. It's getting harder to find em like that.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    If it is truly rust free and the price is low enough I'd say that you should get it. Swapping out the tranny will also give you an opportunity to inspect other parts in that area as well. If you were to buy a manual you could end up with one that is beat to hell or need a clutch in the near future. As long as you have the facilities and access to tools/help I'd say that you should go for it.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch 91BRGLE's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    I'd say keep shopping, I got my 91 BRG with 204K for $3500 in burlington. It is a truly rust free car, never winter driven. Just wait the right car will come along, I was shopping for about 6 months before this one came up. I think $3500 for a high mileage auto is way to much.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I say pass, go for a Yellow (only 1,500 made) or BRG (only 3,000 made) or Silver (only 10,000 made), heck even Black there was only something like 30,000 or less produced!
    Last edited by The Driver; 01-07-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Oh crap, I meant to quote you! :fp:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White '92 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I passed on two auto Miatas with under 100k miles. They were both under $1500 and they were both in nicer shape than my car.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1995 White Miata/2008 Mazda 3s
    Thanks Given
    Well, with the money you save buying an auto miata, you can use towards yourthe completion of your vaginoplasty surgery.

I vote to keep searching.

Idling - Listen to it purr... ResidentG33k's Avatar
    Drives
    White 90 Miata
    Thanks Given
    If you can snag the car for $2800 I'd say it'd be worth it. Depends if you're confident with doing the swap and there's no time constraints swapping transmissions and other parts.

If the costs for the car + the swap + travel are above $4000+ then just look for another miata with a manual transmission. Less headaches bro. -Steve